ReefCleaners.org

Austin’s 10G Budget Build

A_Bishop

Hello all! My names Austin and I am brand new to reefing. So here’s a quick peek at my build as it stands, been up and running about 6 weeks. 

Equipment:

10 Gallon Standard Tank

Aqua Knight A029

AC70

Cheap 50W Heater

10 lbs Aragonite Sand

10 lbs CaribSea LifeRock

Livestock:

2 Scarlet Hermits

1 Oc. Clownfish

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

I’ve kept many Freshwater tanks in the past, bred a lot of South American cichlids. But since moving in with my girlfriend my 55 has been in storage for the past year I finally convinced her to get a saltwater tank and she has been bitten by the bug for sure. I found it a tad tricky to get my salinity just right but after about 2 weeks topping off with saltwater it’s finally stabled out at 1.026 SG. Next step is a Pistol Shrimp friend for our Goby “Carl,” some coral additions, some zoas and GSP, mod the AC70 to hold the heater/fuge, and an ATO.

Hope you guys enjoy the budget build! I’ll try to update weekly as things progress. Hopefully I’ll convince the girlfriend into a 40 Breeder soon. Lol.

4016B60A-EF12-40E8-874A-09C5BD5E757D.jpeg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @A_Bishop👋

That's a great little 10 gallon setup. How has it been switching to the saltwater side of the hobby? Any big surprises?

Thank you! Nothing too crazy so far, the big thing is mixing the salts which I’m still getting the hang of. I am absolutely loving it!

Update: Picked up a few corals today from another hobbyists near me.

Zoas

Mushroom Ricordea

And some GSP

No pictures of the GSP yet as it hasn’t opened quite all the way. Super excited to have some coral in the tank (finally!!!!)

783FFD78-7AE8-4553-B9A7-689CCD73C107.jpeg

02E74AB7-E5B3-4505-818D-AFFCF1BA3DA0.jpeg