Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM 20 peninsula filtration

Coopdod50

Hello everyone! This is my first post on Nano-Reef and I'm in need of some opinions/advice/help. In September I bought the Innovative Marine 20 gallon Peninsula tank as a tank to keep me company and take with me to Oklahoma State in August. Right now i have just Zoas in there but I'm planning on getting some euphyllias and LPS once this quarantine is over. I feel like my filtration setup is ok but could be better and that's why I'm here. In the right chamber where the water comes in I've got the IM nano caddy with the shelves removed and Poly-fill stuffing inside acting as filter floss. In the middle chamber I've got the InTank refugium caddy filled with SeaChem Matrix for biological filtration and just the return pump in the third chamber. If any of you have suggestions or own the tank I would love some advice and feel free to drop photos of your filtration setups! 

In my intake space I have a caddy with filter floss at the top and chemipure blue (the 5.5oz size) at the bottom, the eshopps nano skimmer in the middle, and return pump, heater, and ato in the last chamber. There's definitely disagreement about whether a skimmer is useful or not on this size tank, and the refugium might be just as good. My setup seems to be working well for me, but it might be a little overboard as my tank tends to err on the side of having too little nutrients.

In my IM's I use the caddy, 2 small pieces of floss on top in each switched out 2 times a week, a small bag of carbon in 1 caddy.

If I need to,  I have phosguard on hand but only use that if needed.

I have pod condo in one of the mid chambers in each tank.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, lizzyann said:

In my intake space I have a caddy with filter floss at the top and chemipure blue (the 5.5oz size) at the bottom, the eshopps nano skimmer in the middle, and return pump, heater, and ato in the last chamber. There's definitely disagreement about whether a skimmer is useful or not on this size tank, and the refugium might be just as good. My setup seems to be working well for me, but it might be a little overboard as my tank tends to err on the side of having too little nutrients.

I personally don't use a skimmer just because I only have two clowns in there and feed every other day. For a while I had the middle chamber as a refugium but i felt like it wasn't doing much since the IM chaeto light was growing more hair algae than chaeto.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

In my IM's I use the caddy, 2 small pieces of floss on top in each switched out 2 times a week, a small bag of carbon in 1 caddy.

If I need to,  I have phosguard on hand but only use that if needed.

I have pod condo in one of the mid chambers in each tank.

What’s your pod condo look like? DIY or did you buy something? 

8 hours ago, Coopdod50 said:

Hello everyone! This is my first post on Nano-Reef and I'm in need of some opinions/advice/help. In September I bought the Innovative Marine 20 gallon Peninsula tank as a tank to keep me company and take with me to Oklahoma State in August. Right now i have just Zoas in there but I'm planning on getting some euphyllias and LPS once this quarantine is over. I feel like my filtration setup is ok but could be better and that's why I'm here. In the right chamber where the water comes in I've got the IM nano caddy with the shelves removed and Poly-fill stuffing inside acting as filter floss. In the middle chamber I've got the InTank refugium caddy filled with SeaChem Matrix for biological filtration and just the return pump in the third chamber. If any of you have suggestions or own the tank I would love some advice and feel free to drop photos of your filtration setups! 

Also, welcome to NanoReef! 

9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

What’s your pod condo look like? DIY or did you buy something? 

Also, welcome to NanoReef! 

I diy my pod condo with crafting mesh, you can also build one from egg crate.

I added rock rubble in mine 

• Thanks 1
On 4/20/2020 at 2:15 AM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

What’s happening with your tank that makes you feel like you need more filtration? 

I just feel like its kinda the bare minimum and I could improve it a bit.

7 hours ago, Coopdod50 said:

I just feel like its kinda the bare minimum and I could improve it a bit.

More filtration isn't always beneficial or an improvement.

Some use no filtration.

Any media or other filtration methods should be based on need