Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help Ph problems

undertheseaquarium

undertheseaquarium

Hey,

So it's been a few weeks since I set up my RSR350. I used recycled water from my old tank, which still has its inhabitants. I REALLY want to put them in their new home especially because they're inhabiting the rocks that I want in the tank and i would like to finally get rid of it.

15873251758706557567693085722638.thumb.jpg.d494e2b30e3d271882768589920d57bb.jpg

Old tank Parameters:

Ph: unknown 

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 24C

Ca - 480

Kh - 4.3Meq/L 12.0 dkh

Mg - 1800ppm

Inhabitants: 2x clowns, 2x cleaner shrimp, 1x serpent star, 1x clam, 1x cynarina, 1x sleeper goby. 5-10 zoas, 5 LPS corals

15873251479171609245736452846963.thumb.jpg.df2b9a0cc19d956fe4b0d2950c53f789.jpg

New tank Parameters:

15873253049632139931849646960944.thumb.jpg.4c0ebb5571802b82c51887407ef8b338.jpg

I dont have todays Ca, Mg, Kh readings but if they're really needed for this situation, I'll gladly do a test for all 3.

Should I be worried about my Ph readings. I didn't really worry about it in my nano but this new Seneye sensor is reporting a problem from 7.6- 7.7

The new tank is also getting the old cycled tank water and sand

Hoping to get this situation solved bc my sps are starting to bleach, from being in the wrong spot.

5 hours ago, undertheseaquarium said:

Hey,

So it's been a few weeks since I set up my RSR350. I used recycled water from my old tank, which still has its inhabitants. I REALLY want to put them in their new home especially because they're inhabiting the rocks that I want in the tank and i would like to finally get rid of it.

15873251758706557567693085722638.thumb.jpg.d494e2b30e3d271882768589920d57bb.jpg

Old tank Parameters:

Ph: unknown 

Temp: 24C

Ca - 480

Kh - 4.3Meq/L 12.0 dkh

Mg - 1800ppm

Inhabitants: 2x clowns, 2x cleaner shrimp, 1x serpent star, 1x clam, 1x cynarina, 1x sleeper goby. 5-10 zoas, 5 LPS corals

15873251479171609245736452846963.thumb.jpg.df2b9a0cc19d956fe4b0d2950c53f789.jpg

New tank Parameters:

15873253049632139931849646960944.thumb.jpg.4c0ebb5571802b82c51887407ef8b338.jpg

I dont have todays Ca, Mg, Kh readings but if they're really needed for this situation, I'll gladly do a test for all 3.

Should I be worried about my Ph readings. I didn't really worry about it in my nano but this new Seneye sensor is reporting a problem from 7.6- 7.7

The new tank is also getting the old cycled tank water and sand

Hoping to get this situation solved bc my sps are starting to bleach, from being in the wrong spot.

So you set up a new tank and want to transfer everything from your old tank to it?

You can do a complete tank transfer in a day if done properly. If using the same rocks  from the first tank,  its completely safe. 

If you were cycling a bunch of new rock in the new tank, that's a different story. Then you have to wait to transfer. 

I don't test ph. It fluctuates all day long. Its effected by various things like photosynthesis, alk, gas exchange, even a window being opened can change it.

• Like 2
undertheseaquarium
36 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

So you set up a new tank and want to transfer everything from your old tank to it?

You can do a complete tank transfer in a day if done properly. If using the same rocks  from the first tank,  its completely safe. 

If you were cycling a bunch of new rock in the new tank, that's a different story. Then you have to wait to transfer. 

I don't test ph. It fluctuates all day long. Its effected by various things like photosynthesis, alk, gas exchange, even a window being opened can change it.

So I should be ok to just transfer everything in?

Rock first, then fish then inverts?

If it helps, the aquarium is not by the window or any vents and I've been keeping the ac at 25c at night.

As long as this ph reading wont effect my fish I'll be ecstatic. I have a black storm and I've already spent over $300 on clowns that passed.

Thank you

• Like 1

I went from a nuvo 30l (30 gallon) to a Red Sea Reefer XL425 (90 gallon) in a day.  I don't recommend transferring the sand, but the rocks and everything else should be fine.  Just make sure your temp and salinity match the old tank.

Down the road, you can slowly add more rock as long as it's clean and doesn't create a cycle.

• Like 1

Stop testing pH and it won't be a problem anymore 😉

pH tends to do some funky things when a tank is newly cycled... when bacteria converts ammonia to nitrite and so on... it lowers pH. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, undertheseaquarium said:

So I should be ok to just transfer everything in?

Rock first, then fish then inverts?

If it helps, the aquarium is not by the window or any vents and I've been keeping the ac at 25c at night.

As long as this ph reading wont effect my fish I'll be ecstatic. I have a black storm and I've already spent over $300 on clowns that passed.

Thank you

It depends. Did you add all new dry rock to the new tank? Is it cycled or no?

undertheseaquarium
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

It depends. Did you add all new dry rock to the new tank? Is it cycled or no?

I have only added recycled live rock from the old tank and will add the rest of the live rock from said tank. And the tank has been stable and is cycled along with a growing culture of plankton in the refugium

undertheseaquarium
2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I went from a nuvo 30l (30 gallon) to a Red Sea Reefer XL425 (90 gallon) in a day.  I don't recommend transferring the sand, but the rocks and everything else should be fine.  Just make sure your temp and salinity match the old tank.

Down the road, you can slowly add more rock as long as it's clean and doesn't create a cycle.

Thanks for the advice. I'm keeping the previous live sand because it's clean and has months of beneficial bacteria in it. Saves me money and time. 😊

As long as the sand is clean you should be ok.  Sometimes if you disrupt a sandbed that hasn't been maintained you can cause a lot of problems.  Good luck with the new tank.

undertheseaquarium
41 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

As long as the sand is clean you should be ok.  Sometimes if you disrupt a sandbed that hasn't been maintained you can cause a lot of problems.  Good luck with the new tank.

I've tried to keep it as clean as possible. My goby and cleaning crew seem to be keeping the detritus away and the sand moving. Thanks again!

10 hours ago, undertheseaquarium said:

I have only added recycled live rock from the old tank and will add the rest of the live rock from said tank. And the tank has been stable and is cycled along with a growing culture of plankton in the refugium

Then you can transfer everything over.

The only concern is when you are using all new uncycled rock, in that case I would say wait because the tank will go through a cycle.

When using all cycled rock, you can transfer a tank in a day.