Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I hate UPS

5*Chris

Today was the day. It started off great with a notice that my shipment was arriving from BRS. As I walk out to leave for work, there's a big box standing up on it's side next to my door, who the F stands a 45"  box up on it's side, nobody rang the door bell or knocked. That's when I first thought F UPS. My excitement turned to stress, I felt something was up. 

All day I couldn't wait to get off of work to unbox my Fiji Cube 38g Peninsula, even though I already knew what I was going to see. 8 hours couldn't pass fast enough. I get home and have my wife record the unboxing, sure enough. I hate UPS!!IMG_20200418_221207.thumb.jpg.9327c7c4ff508ccf980461bf3f6a03aa.jpg

This was the side the box was standing on. Im guessing the UPS driver slid the box down onto his dolly giving zeros fux about the contents. Ugh...hopefully this doesn't take forever to get a replacement.

• Sad 4

That's a big tank, not much protection as i can see. My 20 gallon waterbox came with much more styrofoam and thicker styrofoam than that to protect it.

That's not on UPS. Packages can reasonably be expected to be jarred around by sorting machinery and on trucks- fragile items need to be packaged much more carefully. The postal service is pretty busy right now, the guy (who should have been more careful, yeah) was probably not thinking very well. 

Sorry for your disappointment, but you need to complain to the company that packed that. Last glass thing I had shipped to me (a large terrarium) was packaged like that, but then there was another box, with another, thicker layer of styrofoam padding/corner things, around the outside of that, with a few inches of airspace. 

That's all understandable, could have been packed better, though it was double boxed with styrofoam and couple wood pieces for extra support, I just posted a pic of the tank inside the inner box. But it is on the UPS driver or somewhere in the UPS line of delivery. I've seen them actually toss down buckets of salt at my house, having the buckets break and try to walk away. They get paid very well, they should care about doing their jobs.

I've been to the UPS warehouse personally and seen how they handle packages from off loading, sorting, and then loaded on the trucks. It was a shit show. And the reason I was sent to see their warehouse because we were getting too many damage returns and their contract with us was up for review and subsequently lost.

I myself am an essential worker for the DOD, so I'm very busy myself, but I would never half ass my job because I'm busy. Small, large, heavy, light, it shouldn't matter the package, it should be delivered properly because they are paid to deliver the package. As soon as they receive the package, they are responsible for it. So again F UPS.

• Like 3

wow that sucks! when I ordered my IM 25g tank it came in a box with foam on all sides.... then inside another much bigger box and between those two boxes was like 6 inches of foam padding or maybe even thicker. it was boxed to survive a drop from a roof!

• Like 3

I would still say UPS handles their packages better then USPS, I have gotten some packages from USPS before that look like they where used in a game of soccer

13 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

Today was the day. It started off great with a notice that my shipment was arriving from BRS. As I walk out to leave for work, there's a big box standing up on it's side next to my door, who the F stands a 45"  box up on it's side, nobody rang the door bell or knocked. That's when I first thought F UPS. My excitement turned to stress, I felt something was up. 

All day I couldn't wait to get off of work to unbox my Fiji Cube 38g Peninsula, even though I already knew what I was going to see. 8 hours couldn't pass fast enough. I get home and have my wife record the unboxing, sure enough. I hate UPS!!IMG_20200418_221207.thumb.jpg.9327c7c4ff508ccf980461bf3f6a03aa.jpg

This was the side the box was standing on. Im guessing the UPS driver slid the box down onto his dolly giving zeros fux about the contents. Ugh...hopefully this doesn't take forever to get a replacement.

the way its packed im surprised its not smashed more shame on brs imo 

35 minutes ago, PicoSavvy said:

I would still say UPS handles their packages better then USPS, I have gotten some packages from USPS before that look like they where used in a game of soccer

I've been real lucky with USPS, I've always received my package from them with out mishaps. But they have lost a order of fish I sent to Colorado once, well I guess I can't say lost, the person received it a month later 🤦🏽‍♂️

17 minutes ago, naothan said:

the way its packed im surprised its not smashed more shame on brs imo 

It was actually packed a lot better than shown. The pic just shows the tank inside the box. But that box was packed inside another box with more styrofoam and wood braces, there was probably about 3 or 4 inches of space from the the outer most box to the tank on all sides. 

I've honestly just had the worst experience with UPS, I honestly could say that 7/10 of my packages that they deliver gets damaged. Not always to this extent, but too often. Enough that I worry when I see something shipped through them. But my brother, who orders more than me, has only had a couple problems, but prefers UPS. Roll of the dice when it comes to drivers I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looking at the tank inside the box, it's a very nice tank. The AIO is huge (almost 4.75" wide) and probably takes up more space than most would want, but looks like it will house my k2-50 easily in the skimmer section.  

The only real lesson is to buy local whenever possible.  No surprises like this....no blame game to play.  Want a tank?  Go get a tank and come home with it.

Other buying options where you don't get to see the tank before purchase or carry it home are going to generate noise in the process like this.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

The only real lesson is to buy local whenever possible.  No surprises like this....no blame game to play.  Want a tank?  Go get a tank and come home with it.

Other buying options where you don't get to see the tank before purchase or carry it home are going to generate noise in the process like this.  🤷‍♂️

Yeah I can agree with that. Id much rather buy and go, but no one carries the 38g peninsula locally and the tanks that were in stock didn't fit what I wanted.

• Like 1

Today is the day! I received the last tank on Saturday and BRS is closed on the weekend, so I emailed the unboxing video and pic. But right at 9am Monday I called in and within a couple minutes the person I spoke to at BRS had another tank on its way. Awesome customer service as always!!

I'm off today and tomorrow so with enough luck, I might have a tank to swap and a new build thread to start. My fingers are crossed, morning poop out the way, and the blinds on my windows open. Nothing left to do but wait lol. 

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad the new tank should be there soon. With how busy all the carriers are right now I suspect the damage rate has gone up with all of them. 

I hope that UPS doesn't go for 2 for 2 in under a week at my house 😁. I'm sure if I'm standing on my porch the delivery guy will be more cautious with my package. I'll even offer to help, anything to up my chances of receiving a tank that will hold water instead of a tank holding pieces of itself.

I'm very positive today, I do believe this tank will arrive in perfect condition. The delivery guy will have a better day after he's sees the happiness he has brought me. 

mitten_reef
5 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

Well, looks like I spoke too soon...

Screenshot_20200423-093813.thumb.png.9884b7ae4e5df378d72da286099bc0d5.png

Dang! That totally sucks. Sorry, man. 

perhaps contact the seller to make sure they beef up their shipping materials?

• Thanks 1

At least this time they didn't ignore the damage and delivered it anyways.

Short of boxing it out I'm not sure how much better they could package it, especially considering it's a Fiji cube tank from BRS. And not receiving it I don't really know what the damage is, UPS could've dropped it and even boxed out that would shatter still. 

I just looked on their site and they're out of the 38g Peninsula now. Yay me lol!!! The funny thing is, UPS damages my shipments so often, that I'm really not even upset. I even giggled a little when I saw the notice. Well I guess I have some decisions to make.

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, 5*Chris said:

Short of boxing it out I'm not sure how much better they could package it, especially considering it's a Fiji cube tank from BRS. And not receiving it I don't really know what the damage is, UPS could've dropped it and even boxed out that would shatter still. 

I just looked on their site and they're out of the 38g Peninsula now. Yay me lol!!! The funny thing is, UPS damages my shipments so often, that I'm really not even upset. I even giggled a little when I saw the notice. Well I guess I have some decisions to make.

Man, that is the tank I’ve been keeping my eyes on, hoping to see someone set it up. 

3 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

At least back in the day if there were too many issues delivering to a particular address they'd cut off last-mile delivery there.

🤞

What tank sizes did you say you have local access to?

7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

At least back in the day if there were too many issues delivering to a particular address they'd cut off last-mile delivery there.

🤞

What tank sizes did you say you have local access to?

Well after spending the day thinking about it, I think I'm just going to go with my original plan of drilling a 40b and doing it so I can run it as a peninsula. I have a 40b stand already that I was going to put the Fiji 38g on, so that will save on getting a different stand for a tank with different dimensions.

So I've decided to use a Fiji cube 800gph overflow and now deciding on either a Fiji 20 or 24 sump. I have a mighty jet midsize DC return pump but I might go with something bigger. Where I plan on setting up the tank and stand will put the return section of the sump on the opposite side. I'm figuring around 4' of head height and the need to feed a reactor so definitely need a bigger pump.

It'll be my first time sumping a tank and I'm quickly realizing that it's expensive. All the fittings are adding up real quick lol. I'm just glad that everything Im ordering should have no problems with shipping (did I just jinx myself 🤦🏽‍♂️)

• Like 2

oh NO man I love the fiji cube tanks i have there 18.5 a LOVE it.  when I read it was the 38 I got excited to see it. LAME  I bet they are so over worked with ppl staying home and ordering stuff. 

but 40br Peninsula is pretty great to.  but then you dont get that clean rimless look. still be nice tho. love me a 40br

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

oh NO man I love the fiji cube tanks i have there 18.5 a LOVE it.  when I read it was the 38 I got excited to see it. LAME  I bet they are so over worked with ppl staying home and ordering stuff. 

but 40br Peninsula is pretty great to.  but then you dont get that clean rimless look. still be nice tho. love me a 40br

I thought about derimming the 40b and euro bracing it. Not sure though since my local Petco isn't doing a dollar per gallon sale and said the 40b is currently $99. I'd hate to f-up and have to spend another $99 lol.

But...BRS told me I can just throw the 38g away since UPS said they'd be too busy to pick it up. I still haven't completely pulled it out of the box, but it looks like it's just the front panel that shattered. So if that's the case I might just replace that panel 😁. I've never done that before so it might be a fun little project. A buddy of mine said it's extremely easy and that it takes longer to remove the old panel and clean up the area than actually putting in a new piece of glass. 

• Like 1