Coral Vue Hydros

Corals For a Cave

DenverBiocube16

DenverBiocube16

I recently did some rock remodeling and created a bit of an arch and cave in my 16gal biocube. I’ve got a spot in the cave that I’d like to put something, but it receives almost no light and gets moderate to high flow. I’ve considered sun corals, but am worried the constant feeding could tax the filtration. Any thoughts on good shade corals to add? Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

Besides nps, which can be too much work for many, some require a lot of work or don't do well in tanks.

a low light coral may be fine there.

Maybe a nps gorg?

Can u post a pic so we can see how much actual light gets there

• Like 1
DenverBiocube16

I ended up going with a little dendro. It’s been working out ok so far. Looked amazing the first couple days and now doesn’t want to do much tentacle extension, so I’m working on that now. Thanks for all the advice!

DenverBiocube16
On 4/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, sadie said:

I LOVE those. I think it's the same as a sun coral.  I can't wait to get one for my tank. Have any pictures yet?

I do, I’ll attach one here. It’s been a great addition!

ECF35C83-178A-48EF-856E-2619179164AE.jpeg

Feed it......................

I started with one head years ago and has grown to 6 heads or more.............they need food and dont mind the light..............

DenverBiocube16
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Feed it......................

I started with one head years ago and has grown to 6 heads or more.............they need food and dont mind the light..............

I’m making sure it gets some mysis a couple times a week. It’s got a tiny head up front, hidden by my photobombing snail, but both heads seem to be doing well.

• Like 1

Very nice. I can't believe how expensive they have gotten.  I paid 20$ for the on in my avitar about 20 yrs ago.  It was a little smaller then that, but not much. 

Congrats on the new coral!

• Thanks 1
DenverBiocube16
1 hour ago, sadie said:

Very nice. I can't believe how expensive they have gotten.  I paid 20$ for the on in my avitar about 20 yrs ago.  It was a little smaller then that, but not much. 

Congrats on the new coral!

Thanks you! Side note, what’s your light schedule like on your 16? I’m getting a fair amount of algae in mine and my parameters are in check.

• Like 1

Schedule matters! I tried changing mine to what I thought I wanted and algae broke out! It took me a while to figure out it was my new light schedule  Good thing I keep a good log, both here and on paper.

L1 on at 8 AM off at 8 PM

L2 on at 8 AM off at 1 AM

L3 on at 7 AM off at 11 PM

DenverBiocube16
59 minutes ago, sadie said:

Schedule matters! I tried changing mine to what I thought I wanted and algae broke out! It took me a while to figure out it was my new light schedule  Good thing I keep a good log, both here and on paper.

L1 on at 8 AM off at 8 PM

L2 on at 8 AM off at 1 AM

L3 on at 7 AM off at 11 PM

Thanks for that! I will give your schedule a try. My sand looks like crap right now so I’d like to replace it, but want to make sure my lighting is on point or it will go right back to an algae mess. Any experience replacing sand? My current bed is only about 1/2-3/4 inch deep and I inherited it with the tank so it’s definitely in need of a refresh, but I don’t want to have a cycle issue and kill everything.

1 hour ago, DenverBiocube16 said:

Thanks for that! I will give your schedule a try. My sand looks like crap right now so I’d like to replace it, but want to make sure my lighting is on point or it will go right back to an algae mess. Any experience replacing sand? My current bed is only about 1/2-3/4 inch deep and I inherited it with the tank so it’s definitely in need of a refresh, but I don’t want to have a cycle issue and kill everything.

Kinda.  I started my tank in 2000 with LR and LS.  I got a new tank a bit ago and added I think a 10 lb bag of LS to what I had.  I REALLY rinsed out my old sand,( there was a little debate on this if I remember. Some said don't rinse and some said rinse).  Then I mixed it with the new sand, then added it to my tank.  I thought I might get a mini cycle, but had no problems. (That I remember 😁)  I went from a 12 gal to a 16 gal.

DenverBiocube16
1 minute ago, sadie said:

Kinda.  I started my tank in 2000 with LR and LS.  I got a new tank a bit ago and added I think a 10 lb bag of LS to what I had.  I REALLY rinsed out my old sand,( there was a little debate on this if I remember. Some said don't rinse and some said rinse).  Then I mixed it with the new sand, then added it to my tank.  I thought I might get a mini cycle, but had no problems. (That I remember 😁)  I went from a 12 gal to a 16 gal.

Thanks again! I was planning on buying a new 10lb bag of LS and getting rid of the old, it’s pretty rough, just wanted to make sure nobody kicked the bucket because of a cycle if I did that.