Cultivated Reef

cooling down 45L water tank as cold as possible? (for no more than $200)

mro

Hi,

what is an economical way to cool water in a 45L tank? i want the water to be as cold as possible. now the water temperature is 35c.

- if i get a cheap water cooler like this one, then connect the cold outlet to the tank and put a water pump in the tank and send it back to the water cooler? if yes, can you help explain it?

- or, these cheap aquarium coolers , are they useful? how low can they get the water down, if it is 35c ?

- another way?

13 minutes ago, mro said:

Hi,

what is an economical way to cool water in a 45L tank? i want the water to be as cold as possible. now the water temperature is 35c.

- if i get a cheap water cooler like this one, then connect the cold outlet to the tank and put a water pump in the tank and send it back to the water cooler? if yes, can you help explain it?

- or, these cheap aquarium coolers , are they useful? how low can they get the water down, if it is 35c ?

- another way?

So you are going to need to chill roughly 12 gallons of water more than 15 degrees F. Your cheapest, most economical bet would be to keep the tank in a smaller room and get a small window air conditioner and chill the whole room down to 75-78 degrees. Short of that, two thermoelectric coolers like the IceProbe might be just enough (but that's a little over $200), but in reality you are looking at a real compressor driven reef chiller. Some makeshift DIY chiller isn't going to cut it.

What does "as cool as possible" mean? Because you could probably buy a cheap old freezer on Craigslist and stick it in there. That'll sure make it cold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 10:59 AM, mro said:

Hi,

- another way?

I'm also curious about the "why".  What's wrong with 35C and what is "as cold as possible"?   Absolute zero is literally as cold as possible, and I can't imagine a reason for wanting that.

So what's up?

• 4 weeks later...

35 Celsius is 95 Fahrenheit. Is this Aquarium outside? Or on a Porch? If you can dig, put in a PEX ground loop. Run the Water through it with a Danner #1 or #2 Pump in line, not Submerged in the liquid you are trying to cooling. 

• 2 weeks later...
Frag Factory

I would buy a craigslist refrigerator, run 300 feet of RO tubing through it and pump your tank water through that.

Kind of like this but with thinner pipe (as it will cool more efficiently) 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Depending on the coral, some species can handle up to 40C. I'm wondering how your tank gets to 35C. Out here in Maryland right now we're having close to 33C days, but my tank is just sitting inside my living room. We have the AC running whenever the room hits 25.5C.

Either way, my tank is running at 29C during this summer.

What kind of hardware are you running? I wonder if your equipment is also radiating heat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, mro said:

Hi,

- another way?

Don’t waste your money I already bought that cheap mini chiller and it didn’t work for 31L so I don’t think it’ll work for 45L I bought An ice probe too and it neither worked too, so I stayed with my 6” RadioShack fan direct to the Electricity and maintains my temperature at 28.4.