Coral Vue Hydros

Rock flower anemone color change, expelling stuff out of mouth

baronen

So this morning I turned the light on. My RFA changed colors completely from a dull grey to a blue hue and also a bunch of stuff was coming out of its mouth. Not sure it it’s sick or what. It does look a lot prettier but it’s a lot smaller currently. I’ve had it for 5ish months so it’s not new. Please help! What is going on? Last pic is an older one

38E8E017-43AC-484C-A145-109836C611B1.jpeg

C868BA7E-B925-4DD1-9AFB-32BCEE31C745.jpeg

EB570167-8F7B-49CA-B795-EF3D94EA754A.jpeg

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I think you caught the anemone in the act of using the toilet. Anemones have a mouthbutt, meaning food comes in and poop comes out of the same hole.

They shrink when pooping, and the color change happens because their pigmented cells get more concentrated. I have a gray-striped white anemone that looks blue-greenish when it does that. 

• Like 1

Fluval evo stock lighting. Nitrates 5-10, Phosphates .05-.1. I target feed a  raw piece of shrimp or fish whenever I cook some for myself. Maybe once a week or every other week. The anemone gets food daily though from just grabbing it while it floats around. Seems to love the pellets I feed. 

One recent change to the tank - added a dry sand bed. It used to be much closer to the bottom but I had to move a few rocks around and it didnt like the spot anymore and moved much closer to the top. Could it be getting too much light now?

NoOneLikesADryTang

It’s unlikely it’s getting to much light. If they don’t like the light, they’ll move. 

If you’re feeding every day, it’s not unreasonable to think he’s defecating every day.