Jump to content
Murphych

Murphych the return

Recommended Posts

Murphych

 After 3 years of planted tanks I'm back on nano salt water. 

 

Started 11 days ago I have begun the cycle process, and have I forgot most of what I knew years ago... Man! I'm rusty.. 

 

Anyway going to keep a wee log of it. 

 

Kicking off with

  • JUWEL VIO 30 litre
  • 2.25 kg of live rock and 2 kg TMC fine sand. 
  • Arcadia Classica Marine LED
  • Jebao wp 10 wavemaker
  • Aquaone Nanoskim

 

Livestock (updated 23rd June)

  • Hammer
  • Duncan's
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Small plug of zoa
  • Yellow coral goby
  • Turbo snail
  • Peppermint shrimp
  • 4 hermits 

 

 

IMG_20200414_202458.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Added a handful of bristle worms, anther 0.25kg of live rock and 4 hermits crabs

20200418125604s.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Welcome back. Did you start with live rock? Looks like live rock. Good luck with your new set up. What was your old set up?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych
6 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. Did you start with live rock? Looks like live rock. Good luck with your new set up. What was your old set up?

Thanks 😊,  yeah live rock as it's the only filtration I will have other than the water change ofc. 

Old set up was 20 gal with a couple of clowns. 2 of the wp 10 wavemakers, can't remember what lighting.. had that set up for years but ever 5 year I seem to bounce better fresh planted and reef. 🤔 Should just have one of each lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
6 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Thanks 😊,  yeah live rock as it's the only filtration I will have other than the water change ofc. 

Old set up was 20 gal with a couple of clowns. 2 of the wp 10 wavemakers, can't remember what lighting.. had that set up for years but ever 5 year I seem to bounce better fresh planted and reef. 🤔 Should just have one of each lol

 

Yes

IMG_20200415_161430.thumb.jpg.2454d4252036023e87b5a48c13e5593b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

It's been over a month now with CUC and the params are stable.. time to start stocking.. looking for a couple of suggestions. Would like a fish perhaps but not a burning desire.. in terms of coral I think I will stick to softies...

IMG_20200515_072440.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Added a Duncan's frag and have a hammer and few mushrooms on the way next week

IMG_20200516_144732.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Update

Added a hammer and a peppermint shrimp yesterday..

 

Just noticed though that it here is a small Aiptasia at the base of the hammer, do I take the frag out and get rid of the hitchhiker or let the peppermint deal with it?

IMG_20200530_114328.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Starfishie99
On 4/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Murphych said:

 After 3 years of planted tanks I'm back on nano salt water. 

 

Started 11 days ago I have begun the cycle process, and have I forgot most of what I knew years ago... Man! I'm rusty.. 

 

Anyway going to keep a wee log of it. 

 

Kicking off with

  • JUWEL VIO 30 litre
  • 2.25 kg of live rock and 2 kg TMC fine sand. 
  • Arcadia Classica Marine LED
  • Jebao wp 10 wavemaker

 

Livestock 

  • Hammer
  • Duncan's
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Small plug of zoa
  • Peppermint shrimp
  • 4 hermits 

 

but this time the difference is.... No skimmer.. I'm thinking small tank, no fish (will only have CUC and a shrimp if some sort), and 10% WC a week should be grand to keep some nice non demanding soft corals in good form. 

 

 

IMG_20200414_202458.jpg

what’s a slimmer, ive been hearing all about it, it seem like just a tank vacuum, is it necessary if you have fish?

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych
5 hours ago, Starfishie99 said:

what’s a slimmer, ive been hearing all about it, it seem like just a tank vacuum, is it necessary if you have fish?

A skimmer pulls organic compounds like excess food and waste from the water..

 

To me it depends on a few things... Tank size, if you have a larger tank then I would say yeah it's definitely something you need..

large bio-load is lots of fish, inverts, corals then yeah I would have one.

I have a 5 gal however so 2 X a week water changes and vacuuming works fine for me and it keeps mag, cal in good order too.

 

I dont have fish either so the bio-load is minimal so I can get away with it fine (until I forget or go on holiday and I eat my hat!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Any suggestions on the Aiptasia at the base of the hammer, do I take the frag out and kill the Aiptasia or let the peppermint deal with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Any suggestions on the Aiptasia at the base of the hammer, do I take the frag out and kill the Aiptasia or let the peppermint deal with it?

I would pull it and glue over the aiptasia myself

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I would pull it and glue over the aiptasia myself

Yep will do thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

It's gone. The peppermint took care of it in the end 👍🏼

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
badfish816

Nice. I just got back into it myself after 6 years. I feel you on how things have changed and how rusty I am. Another quick way of ridding aptsisia is injecting the aptasia with lemon juice using a diabetus syringe. Always worked for me. Stab them right in the middle quickly before they close and only inject a very small amount. Doesnt take much and they will shrivel and die. That way you dont have to remove any rocks or coral. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Ah man... Im starting to struggle with nitrates... It's odd though as I don't feed the tank, very low bio-load and low end lighting..

Water changes are only holding it back a day or 2 then up to 40ppm + again ...

Moved the powerhead so it's smashing the rock... It's clean, got some hair algae growing in small areas... 

I might have to rethink a skimmer..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Hammer is filling out now 

 

IMG_20200622_144904.jpg

IMG_20200622_152122.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Full tank. Now it's time.to go out and get some more coral.

 

Thinking about some zoas next and maybe removing the Xenia .. 

 

IMG_20200624_131246.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...