ReefCleaners.org

Going to have to go easy on the quantum LR nitrate and phosphate removers. I'm down to almost zero on both. Very aggressive products ... But wow they have really helped me out over the last month. Now to get rid of the last bits of GHA. 

The new tank is wet. Love the extra height on it. 

I will begin to move stuff over in the next week or so. But decided not to just rip the old tank down but more to let the new one run for a bit, add a small amount of ammonia and a chunk of live rock from the other tank.

I had the new filter media sitting in the back of the live system since friday so that should have picked up a little bit of the good and bad stuff to kick start the process 😃

Was going to start a new thread but like the idea of having the full journey in one place 👍🏼

Not much to say really tank moved over yesterday, left the sand behind. Tested water parameters this morning, gutted. 

Ammonia up to 0.25ppm

Nitrate up to near 40ppm

Phosphate up to 1.0ppm

PH down to 7.8 

Stopped testing at that point could have stopped at the ammonia really..

Took some advice that a lift and shift would be fine assuming sand didn't follow as all I was lossing was bacteria on the glass and in the sand. As it turns out I must have taken a whole bunch of stuff from under the rocks....

Did a 100% water change so we will go ahead and fight the fight.. Disaster all in all...

Takes away from it would be if I was to do it again I might move over slowly. But that may create 2 unstable tanks.. 

Lighting schedule:

20200916220015s.jpg

Ok so the spike seems to have been short lived. Did a 100% water change yesterday and ammonia has stayed at zero, phosphate and nitrate riding a high still but I'll water change at the weekend again coupled with the quantum products. 

Only problem is that it looks like there is nothing in the tank as my new rock is still sitting in RO ...

Tank so far after change over 

IMG_20200916_201104.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, afcajax73 said:

ah no 😞 

I'm still jealous of your sandbed! how do you keep it so clean? Is it just a case of hoovering?

🤣🤣 Yeah it's only 1 cm deep so I turn it over weekly and hoover the fuk out it every morning 

58 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Really! Do you dump the water back in when done or are you running through some kind of filter?

47 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

That’s exactly what I wondered 

I siphon it using airline into a pyrex 1l jug and pour it back in minus the crap that sinks to the bottom..only takes a few minutes. it's completely OCD I fully get that.. but I just think a clean white sandbed really makes the tank pop.. even if there are other issues lol.

In other news the new (old) rock is well underway now 👍🏼 can't wait to get it in!

IMG_20200920_134243.jpg

• Like 2

awesome! 

Sound's like a good plan to be honest mate. I might start doing my sandbed more often. Maybe twice a week. To be honest, I've kinda neglected my sandbed a bit over the years

It might be OCD but it looks good! 😄

Liking the look of that rock, I need get a bit more in, but I'm going frag some corals off this afternoon... First attempt at it, but everything is growing wild! 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, afcajax73 said:

awesome! 

Sound's like a good plan to be honest mate. I might start doing my sandbed more often. Maybe twice a week. To be honest, I've kinda neglected my sandbed a bit over the years

It might be OCD but it looks good! 😄

Liking the look of that rock, I need get a bit more in, but I'm going frag some corals off this afternoon... First attempt at it, but everything is growing wild! 

Nice! Good luck pal 👍🏼 if you want to frag off a bit more than usual and swing by castle that would be great 🤣🤣

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grimes said:

Nice! Good luck pal 👍🏼 if you want to frag off a bit more than usual and swing by castle that would be great 🤣🤣

haha.. I've never done it before but my pulsing Xenia (I know, I know), Kenya Tree and Torch have got huge! 

I'm starting with the Xenia, I've got loads of bits off, put it in a basket at the top corner of my tank, with some pebble/rubble to see if any takes, then I'll go to Kenya tree, then torch. 

I'm assuming you don't want any Xenia!? 😄

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, afcajax73 said:

haha.. I've never done it before but my pulsing Xenia (I know, I know), Kenya Tree and Torch have got huge! 

I'm starting with the Xenia, I've got loads of bits off, put it in a basket at the top corner of my tank, with some pebble/rubble to see if any takes, then I'll go to Kenya tree, then torch. 

I'm assuming you don't want any Xenia!? 😄

Ermmm. No thanks the torch however 🤣🤣

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Ermmm. No thanks the torch however 🤣🤣

haha yeah.. I went in my LFS today to get a couple of bits to frag... and the bloke in there asked me straight away if he could have some of what I fragged off if I did.. 😄

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

haha yeah.. I went in my LFS today to get a couple of bits to frag... and the bloke in there asked me straight away if he could have some of what I fragged off if I did.. 😄

Yeah their supply chain is a bit broken down at the moment as well. TMC isnt even allowing wholesale clients into their fish rooms currently. 

• Wow 1
12 hours ago, Grimes said:

Yeah their supply chain is a bit broken down at the moment as well. TMC isnt even allowing wholesale clients into their fish rooms currently. 

😞

I did notice the one I went yesterday (Kidsgrove), has quite a bit in coral wise, but not many fish. I'm a bit gutted I didn't buy some coral yesterday, then had some tiny small frags in for around £10 each. I was super tempted, but I'm just going to try limit the changes whilst I'm fragging my corals. 

as mentioned, I've not done it before and I'm super wary! 😄 also.. I'm limited on space. I need to get a frag rack I think.

I'm so desperate for a bigger tank, 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

😞

I did notice the one I went yesterday (Kidsgrove), has quite a bit in coral wise, but not many fish. I'm a bit gutted I didn't buy some coral yesterday, then had some tiny small frags in for around £10 each. I was super tempted, but I'm just going to try limit the changes whilst I'm fragging my corals. 

as mentioned, I've not done it before and I'm super wary! 😄 also.. I'm limited on space. I need to get a frag rack I think.

I'm so desperate for a bigger tank, 

Do it!!!👍🏼🤣

• Like 1

Well sitting bored tonight I did teh full range of tests as follows, pretty please as it was a week after upgrading to a new tank. Also seeing GHA reducing.. but I have been plucking it hard. 

Paramerters

pH 8.0

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 0 (undetectable)

PO4 0.03

Salinity 1.024ppm

dKH 7

Ca 420

Mag 1440