SaltCritters.com

Not so long ago Duncan was a single polyp. Getting some great growth now.

IMG_20210116_214310.jpg

Rastas look really hot now, started with 3 polyps

IMG_20210116_214244.jpg

So glad I tried gluing GSP to the wall. It's really taking off now the GHA has gone

IMG_20210116_214150.jpg

Everyone loves a shroom

IMG_20210116_214302.jpg

The neon goby chillin on the rock after a good feed

IMG_20210116_214347.jpg

• Like 4

Just watched a bumblebee snail munching a zoa polyp.. slow motion horror. I watched to confirm.

Then moved all 3 to the rear chamber, rule of Grimes, if there's even a chance... Your out .. if you did it, you suffer in the rear chamber getting to see forever what you could have had 🖕🏼

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Grimes said:

Just watched a bumblebee snail munching a zoa polyp.. slow motion horror. I watched to confirm.

Then moved all 3 to the rear chamber, rule of Grimes, if there's even a chance... Your out .. if you did it, you suffer in the rear chamber getting to see forever what you could have had 🖕🏼

Isn’t that because they are hungry and there isn’t enough scrap for them to eat?

Some people don't consider bumblebees reef safe.  IDK, I always thought that was because they are carnivorous and eat other beneficial fauna.  They've recently gained popularity as possible predators of vermetid snails.

• Like 4
On 1/17/2021 at 11:19 PM, Gore15 said:

Isn’t that because they are hungry and there isn’t enough scrap for them to eat?

Nope it's a well fed tank (too well if you ask my Hanna tester). It seems once they have a taste for something then they go for it

Get some kent's phyto and dose liberally (I do about 3ml every other in a 25) at night after you get your P04 back up, should keep things from bottoming out again (or at least its' seemingly worked for me).

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty
On 1/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, Grimes said:

Updated maintenance schedule:

• Dose Vibrant: Weekly - Sunday 
  • Feeding: Every 3 days
  • Parameters Tested: Weekly - Wednesday
  • Water Change 10%: Weekly - Friday 
  • Changed Carbon; Every 30 days
  • Clean Sump: Every 60 days

So if youre concerned about your nutrients bottoming out, you definitely could consider feeding a day or two more each week, or maybe consider cutting back on vibrant dosing gradually (if the algae issue is resolved- sorry i haven't read back the whole way) since that is a bacteria that will bring nutrients down. 

so exciting to see things starting to grow! if things are looking good and youre not dealing with any problems, i'd say thats a better indicator than any testing number 🙂 

Ive got a few bumblebee snails that have gone to town on my vermitid snails. So far they've avoided all my corals. i actually had a ton of asterina stars that were eating my zoas. its amazing how intricate (and flexible) our little food chains can be. sorry about the rasta that was eaten!

• Like 2

Nero running sweet after finally getting a stable connection, location services is a bit if a rabbit hole and it was more that the remote needs to be in clear sight of the router... found out after a long session if troubleshooting and After disconnecting every Google nest device that it was as simple as moving the remote (which by the way comes on the end of a 3 year long cord )...

IMG_20210127_084712.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

So last Sunday was the last vibrant dose I added. Not going to add anymore, though I have out 4 bags of pods in the tank instill can't see any sign of them shortly after release. I know the coral goby hunts and picks them off but 4 bags seems extremely unlikely. I am absolutely sure it's down to vibrant .. we will see over the next few days / weeks 

On 2/3/2021 at 2:54 PM, Grimes said:

Macroalgaes are all coming on well. I find I need to blast the debris out if them often though. Seem to have slot of this white shit at the moment 

IMG_20210203_195120.jpg

Looks like bacteria, could be the startings of some cyano.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, A.m.P said:

Looks like bacteria, could be the startings of some cyano.

I have been dosing a good bit of phosphate remover. On checking it I think I need to up the skimming a bit... Think is just snot from that 

• Like 1
Just now, Grimes said:

Might need to restart that lighting discussion with you 👍🏼

Depending on the dimensions of the tank (mainly depth) I dont think that I have anything that would be suitable. Maybe the chinese black box, or a couple par38 bulbs. I dont think the little Kessil will work, anything over 12" deep and there isnt any point using the Kessil A80 unless you want a NPS tank