Top Shelf Aquatics

So chamber one in the back I have decided I want a fug. Need to get some macro in order.

Currently have the emerald crab in there and feeding him daily as there isn't a lot in there to eat yet. Though he has cleaned it out of all algae so that's good...

• Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 6:36 AM, Grimes said:

Been a week since I did the full range of testing and mag seems to have dropped a bit: 

Tuesday 27/10 19:25

°C🌡️: 26 °C

pH: 8.0 

NO3: 0 ppm - need to let this come up a bit

PO4: 0.03 ppm

Salinity: 1.024 SG

dKh: 8.0 dKH

Ca: 440 ppm

Mag: 1290 ppm - dropped from 1320

Just ran some tests....

'C: 26'C

pH: 8.1

NO3: 0

NO2: 0

P04: 0.01

Salinity 1.026

dKh: 5

I need new Ca and Mag tests.. but that 5 is slightly worrying! I am wondering if my test is wrong though, I'm still seeing rapid coral growth and nothing dying off... 

1 minute ago, Grimes said:

So chamber one in the back I have decided I want a fug. Need to get some macro in order.

Currently have the emerald crab in there and feeding him daily as there isn't a lot in there to eat yet. Though he has cleaned it out of all algae so that's good...

I think I'm going to go grab an emerald this week if I can. Just need find one now! 😄

• Like 1

I’ll try nip out tomorrow and get some mag and calc tests, retest and do the other two, if calc and mag is okay, I might just do small water change and see where it leaves me 

Very grateful for the offer too! 

• Like 1

The following news comes with a very heavy heart indeed. Some of you will be very sad indeed so if you are of a weak disposition please do not continue to read on.

Ok here goes... The Murphy bright white sand bed is under attack by a very evil force. 

I have Cyano 😭😭😭 

My sand bed will die

My rocks will die

My corals will...

Ok so it's not that bad but cooooooome on man!! I just got rid of the hair algae...gimme a break here..

Need to put a plan together to get the AIO finished off. I have been neglecting the rear chambers, spending too much time planning and replanning and doing nothing. As well as the fact that I have some coral and rubble in front of the Scape that's blocking flow.. this is causing some dead spots which is where the Cyano is taking hold. 

So tomorrow I will make a start and clean out the rear chamber of all the crap that's sitting in the bottom and remove the rubble from the display... Might even put this rubble in one of the rear chambers. Then get the coral glued up onto the Scape.. 

Lighting - I might try and take out some of the red spectrum by a few % as well ..

For the next week or 2 I'll run some carbon and change out floss every few days after a gravel vac.. see how this all helps me out.

NO3 and PO4 are all good so I'm sure that the above steps will help me out. 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I got it before I put it in the fug @Snow_Phoenix.. 

I have done a 10% water change pulling the Cyano from the sand, replaced Floss and added Carbon as well as got a bunch of macro for the rear chamber 👍🏼

IMG_20201031_093752.jpg

Oh yeah got a TMC refractometer to replace the hydrometer... Jesus Christ after calibration I tested, a bit of a bugger reading 1.022sg ... So a slow rise over the next week I think 😅 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Booooo look at the state of my fu.cking sand bed.. I'm on the floor in pieces.. it's hit me soo bad I've had to go to the shop for 4 cans of Amstel 😭🤣

IMG_20201101_144329.jpg

What I have been amused with is some pretty odd behaviour from my neon goby, he has pretty much glued himself to the firefish belly. The firefish is just swimming around minding his own business and the goby is just rocking right up under him...

I thought it was nipping the firefish to begin with but no they are just up close and personal.

Can't get a good pic of it but checking the firefish out he is in tip top condition, no lumps, bumps or marks at all.. Sunday oddness....

• Like 2
On 10/31/2020 at 6:11 AM, Grimes said:

Really excited about the free new coral I got with £2 of macroalgae 🤣

IMG_20201031_130225~2.jpg

Rare glass anemone

Can I get a frag when it grows out

• Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Grimes said:

It's a pain at the moment got GHA patches again. Nitrate is back up a little over 5ppm again so need to figure out what the hell is going on with that before I put any thing else in the tank...

better get a move on then pal! you've got cash to spend at cellar tomorrow!!! 😄 😄

• Haha 2

Good news... It's Friday beer night but also I have decided to go for more Monti tomorrow at cellar to begin to fill out the left hand side wall.

As it's a cube and the left and back sides are against walls I have 2 more surfaces to fill... So just finished sawing rock flat to glue chunks to some spare mag cleaners to act as focal points that can be moved of needed 👍🏼 

My wife feels I have turned odd 

• Like 2

Haha that’s great! 

Let me know how you get on.. I’m tempted head over myself but I need sort my water first... 

On the upside I noticed I’ve got three new mushrooms in my tank I didn’t know about 😂😂