SaltCritters.com

Well the 165w Chinese Black Box would work, but in all honesty you'd have to do a fair bit of work to that light (mainly remove some of the cold whites) or a couple 18W PAR38 Bulbs. But to be honest you'd spend more on the hanging kit than the bulbs themselves. Its a nice tank, where did you order from? I'm thinking about ordering myself a little 45cm AIO Cube

I got it from a LFS recommend by @afcajax73, custom tank so sizes are a little different to what I was going for. But all in all it fits the room style really well.

yeah I might look around at a few lighting options but right now I need to sort a skimmer and heater first so I can at least get it cycling..

• Like 4

Just thinking about migration approach from the 15 gal to the 80. Speak to the guy at the LFS he said just move it all in a oner and continue to deal with GHA in the big tank where there will be a greater volume of water therefore far less bio load and much better filtration. He seems to think that it wouldn't even trigger a cycle of any kind. I will be using brand new sand and leaving the old stuff where it is.  @seabass@Tired  @Ratvan what do you make of this? 

I could leave the small tank running and cycle the big one but not sure it's really necessary ? 

I won't add any new rock or animals at the moment just due to time and cash (this is part of a bigger remodeling of the downstairs part of the house so other things to get done). So everything I will be moving is established other than the sand 

58 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Just thinking about migration approach from the 15 gal to the 80. Speak to the guy at the LFS he said just move it all in a oner and continue to deal with GHA in the big tank where there will be a greater volume of water therefore far less bio load and much better filtration. He seems to think that it wouldn't even trigger a cycle of any kind. I will be using brand new sand and leaving the old stuff where it is.  @seabass@Tired  @Ratvan what do you make of this? 

I could leave the small tank running and cycle the big one but not sure it's really necessary ? 

I won't add any new rock or animals at the moment just due to time and cash (this is part of a bigger remodeling of the downstairs part of the house so other things to get done). So everything I will be moving is established other than the sand 

I'd treat it as a new tank and prepare for some form of cycle, you have what 5kg (12lbs) of rock?

I'd add the new sand definitely, unless you could rinse clean the old stuff i'd not use it personally. 

edit: or dump the rock in the sump if its live to stop any form of die off 

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the new tank up and running.

2 hours ago, Grimes said:

Doing that, I wouldn't expect an ammonia spike.  You really only have to worry about that if you add new rock.  Some dry rock contains organics (even if you can't see it) which can result in ammonia, just like live rock can.

For the future, when you do add new rock.  Use the fishless cycling method (dosing ammonia) in a separate container to build up the biofilter on dry rock prior to adding it to a tank with livestock.  For live rock, cycle it in another container (without dosing ammonia) before adding it to your new display.

2 hours ago, Grimes said:

I will be using brand new sand and leaving the old stuff where it is.

New sand is fine to use.  A diatom bloom isn't unusual when using new sand, but it's normally nothing to worry about.  I'd probably seed the new sand with a cup of sand from your old tank.  So will you be restocking your current tank after the livestock transfer?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I'd treat it as a new tank and prepare for some form of cycle, you have what 5kg (12lbs) of rock?

I'd add the new sand definitely, unless you could rinse clean the old stuff i'd not use it personally. 

edit: or dump the rock in the sump if its live to stop any form of die off 

Yeah not a lot of rock at all compared to what I'll need. About 5kg maybe slightly more. 

I think we are agreed not to carry the sand, other that a small bit to seed. 

2 hours ago, seabass said:

Looking forward to seeing the new tank up and running.

Doing that, I wouldn't expect an ammonia spike.  You really only have to worry about that if you add new rock.  Some dry rock contains organics (even if you can't see it) which can result in ammonia, just like live rock can.

For the future, when you do add new rock.  Use the fishless cycling method (dosing ammonia) in a separate container to build up the biofilter on dry rock prior to adding it to a tank with livestock.  For live rock, cycle it in another container (without dosing ammonia) before adding it to your new display.

New sand is fine to use.  A diatom bloom isn't unusual when using new sand, but it's normally nothing to worry about.  I'd probably seed the new sand with a cup of sand from your old tank.  So will you be restocking your current tank after the livestock transfer?

Thank you👍🏼 yeah it feels like I will move everything over, putting rock either into the DT or sump, maybe try and clear off some GHA in the old tank water. 

I don't think I will use the AquaOne as a DT maybe run it as a QT in the summerhouse. Or even using it to cycle some dry rock for that matter.. either way it will have a use for now. 

Gents thank you for your help as always.

• Like 2

Definitely use new sand, aside from a cup or two to seed.

I wouldn't expect a cycle. A quick transfer of live rock won't cause any die-off, and you wouldn't be adding any new bio-load. It'd transfer your established bacteria right over. The only thing to worry about would be any gunk trapped under the rock, and that gets left in the old tank. Just don't add a bunch of new fish or some un-cured live rock, and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Been messing with shims all morning, am I getting tied up in this or does the front right need a little lift? Been chasing around for ages 😂 (not an advert for Wickes btw)

Front left to right:IMG_20210215_092215.jpg

Back left to right:

IMG_20210215_092232.jpg

Right front to back:

IMG_20210215_092313.jpg

Left front to back:

IMG_20210215_092321.jpg

Left back corner to right front corner:

IMG_20210215_092343.jpg

Right back to left front corner:

IMG_20210215_092358.jpg

• Haha 1

It can be a frustrating job.  The last pic looks the most off to me.  But to be honest, overall, it looks pretty darn good.  Left to right and front to back levels look spot on.  I'd probably call it good.

• Like 3

Cheers @seabass yeah I think I'm good. The guy from the LFS is coming up with the water in a couple days so will get him to double check as well before we fill it. Did a test on the plumbing, the Weir is water tight, put a litre of water into it to check for weeping pipes but all good.

The emergency drain pipe seems real high like the water is already over the top of the glass high so I will take a cm off it but other than that it's good.. 

the TMC reef pump 4000 is a bit of a beast 👍🏼

• Like 2

To level, 90% of the hobby involves people dropping aqeuon tanks onto old dressers topping-carpet, being level is important but that importance scales heavily with weight lol, I'd definitely call that close enough.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, A.m.P said:

To level, 90% of the hobby involves people dropping aqeuon tanks onto old dressers topping-carpet, being level is important but that importance scales heavily with weight lol, I'd definitely call that close enough.

Ha! I can't sleep at night if I have a glass of water on my bedside table for the worry of knocking that off onto the floor! 

I couldn't imagine seating a tank of any size on anything other than a piece of furniture build for the purpose. 

1 hour ago, Grimes said:

A bit of weeping from the return which I might need a bit of silicon or a washer

IMO, you should never need silicone for plumbing.  Is the weeping coming from a bulkhead, fitting, or something else?

• Like 2