inTank Media Baskets

Murphs_Reef

Grimes 15 gallon rimless now retired see my ReefSpace 900 thread in large reefs 😭

After 3 years of planted tanks I'm back on nano salt water. 

Started 11 days ago I have begun the cycle process, and have I forgot most of what I knew years ago... Man! I'm rusty.. 

Anyway going to keep a wee log of it. 

Equipment:

• AquaOne AquaNano 40, 15 Gallon
  • AquaOne Nanoskim 40
  • Stock heater (55w) and pump 
  • Fluval SEA Nano LED
  • AI Nero 3.
  • Jebao dp-4 dosing pump
  • DD jumpguard pro

Filtration:

• 5 kg of live rock
  • 1 kg TMC fine sand
  • Macroalgae - Caulerpa Taxifolia

System Support / Dosing:

• Vibrant
  • Quantum LR Nitrate Remover
  • Quantum Phosphate Remover
  • pH up

Livestock (updated 23rd January)

Fish & Inverts:

• Yellow coral goby (Gobiodon okinawae)
  • Blue neon goby (Elacatinus oceanops)
  • Firefish goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)
  • Pajama Cardinal (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
  • Green Brittle Star
  • 6 x Banded Trochus Snails (can't count now as there are so many babies)
  • 1 x Bumblebee Snails (AKA coral killer)
  • 3 x Cerith Snails
  • 3 x Turbo Snails
  • 1 x Astrea Snail
  • 1 x Nassarius snail
  • Peppermint shrimp
  • Emerald Crab
  • 3 hermits

Coral: 

SPS:

• Montipora delicatula

LPS:

• Hammer (Euphyllia ancora)
  • Duncan's (Duncanopsammia axifuga)
  • Acan (Acanthastrea echinata)

Softies:

• Zoas - Radio Active
  • Zoas - Red People Eater
  • Zoas - blue hornets
  • Zoas - Rastas
  • Zoas - Kedds Reds
  • Green Implosion Paly
  • Mushrooms Yuma Red
  • Mushroom Orange (Rhodactis mussoides)
  • Mushroom Florida Ric
  • Green Star colony (Pachyclavularia)
  • Kenya Tree Coral

8th April 2020 (Jewel Vio 40)

20200418144818.jpg

27th Oct 2020 (AquaOne AquaNano 40)

20201028110420.jpg

Nov 2020

20201112202724.thumb.jpg.a87490f81e884a164cc0ca1c2261e7a6.jpg

Jan 2021

IMG_20210130_134532.jpg

• Like 5
Murphs_Reef
6 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. Did you start with live rock? Looks like live rock. Good luck with your new set up. What was your old set up?

Thanks 😊,  yeah live rock as it's the only filtration I will have other than the water change ofc. 

Old set up was 20 gal with a couple of clowns. 2 of the wp 10 wavemakers, can't remember what lighting.. had that set up for years but ever 5 year I seem to bounce better fresh planted and reef. 🤔 Should just have one of each lol

6 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Thanks 😊,  yeah live rock as it's the only filtration I will have other than the water change ofc. 

Old set up was 20 gal with a couple of clowns. 2 of the wp 10 wavemakers, can't remember what lighting.. had that set up for years but ever 5 year I seem to bounce better fresh planted and reef. 🤔 Should just have one of each lol

Yes

IMG_20200415_161430.thumb.jpg.2454d4252036023e87b5a48c13e5593b.jpg

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef

It's been over a month now with CUC and the params are stable.. time to start stocking.. looking for a couple of suggestions. Would like a fish perhaps but not a burning desire.. in terms of coral I think I will stick to softies and LPS...

IMG_20200515_072440.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Murphs_Reef

Update

Added a hammer and a peppermint shrimp yesterday..

Just noticed though that it here is a small Aiptasia at the base of the hammer, do I take the frag out and get rid of the hitchhiker or let the peppermint deal with it?

IMG_20200530_114328.jpg

Starfishie99
On 4/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Murphych said:

After 3 years of planted tanks I'm back on nano salt water. 

Started 11 days ago I have begun the cycle process, and have I forgot most of what I knew years ago... Man! I'm rusty.. 

Anyway going to keep a wee log of it. 

Kicking off with

• JUWEL VIO 30 litre
  • 2.25 kg of live rock and 2 kg TMC fine sand. 
  • Arcadia Classica Marine LED
  • Jebao wp 10 wavemaker

Livestock 

• Hammer
  • Duncan's
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Small plug of zoa
  • Peppermint shrimp
  • 4 hermits 

but this time the difference is.... No skimmer.. I'm thinking small tank, no fish (will only have CUC and a shrimp if some sort), and 10% WC a week should be grand to keep some nice non demanding soft corals in good form. 

IMG_20200414_202458.jpg

what’s a slimmer, ive been hearing all about it, it seem like just a tank vacuum, is it necessary if you have fish?

Murphs_Reef
On 5/31/2020 at 10:24 AM, Starfishie99 said:

what’s a slimmer, ive been hearing all about it, it seem like just a tank vacuum, is it necessary if you have fish?

A skimmer pulls organic compounds like excess food and waste from the water..

To me it depends on a few things... Tank size, if you have a larger tank then I would say yeah it's definitely something you need..

large bio-load is lots of fish, inverts, corals then yeah I would have one.

I have a 8 gal however so 2 X a week water changes and vacuuming works fine for me and it keeps mag, cal in good order too.

I dont have fish either so the bio-load is minimal so I can get away with it fine (until I forget or go on holiday and I eat my hat!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Any suggestions on the Aiptasia at the base of the hammer, do I take the frag out and kill the Aiptasia or let the peppermint deal with it?

I would pull it and glue over the aiptasia myself

• Like 1
badfish816

Nice. I just got back into it myself after 6 years. I feel you on how things have changed and how rusty I am. Another quick way of ridding aptsisia is injecting the aptasia with lemon juice using a diabetus syringe. Always worked for me. Stab them right in the middle quickly before they close and only inject a very small amount. Doesnt take much and they will shrivel and die. That way you dont have to remove any rocks or coral. 

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

Ah man... Im starting to struggle with nitrates... It's odd though as I don't feed the tank, very low bio-load and low end lighting..

Water changes are only holding it back a day or 2 then up to 40ppm + again ...

Moved the powerhead so it's smashing the rock... It's clean, got some hair algae growing in small areas... 

I might have to rethink a skimmer..... 

• 2 weeks later...
Murphs_Reef

As an update, I have been experiencing issues with phosphate and nitrate levels Detailed in this thread causing GHA. A few remedial steps and the addition of 2 X Banded Trochus Snails seems to be helping. 

A minor but possitive discovery of Spirorbid Worms appearing in a few locations around the rocks and glass, and a brittle star poking it's legs out of a crevice had cheered me up further. 👍🏼

Murphs_Reef

Ok so numbers have been stable @ phosphate 0.15ppm and nitrate 10ppm. Everything seems fine but still have a bit of GHA which is returning every day after I manually remove.. it's not getting any worse in terms of spreading but that's probably due to diligent removal with water flow turned off.

I did use quantum phosphate remover for a few days but it seems very aggressive so stopped at the phosphate dipped to 0 sharply then Duncan closed up.. stopped using it on Friday and things are looking a bit happier, though phosphate has returned to its 0.15ppm.. 

Think I will just have to live with the GHA for a bit... As long as it's not irritating any corals....