Pod Your Reef

Royal Urchin in 10 gallon tank

Just a kid

I Have a 10 gallon saltwater tank with 2 occelaris clownfish, 3 snails, 2 hermit crabs, and 1 cleaner shrimp for about a year now and I just added a yellow watchman Goby yesterday and he seems to be doing just fine. I really wanted a urchin and the royal urchin seems really cool. Do you think that would work in a 10 gallon tank.

Urchins require a good amount of algae to survive and not all will take to supplement feedings of nori. 

You also need to consider that they can knock things over and even collect corals as they move. 

In a newer tank, I would hesitate to advise it if you don't have a decent amount of algae.

Candymancan

Like he said urchins require lots of algae..  If your tank has none they will eat sps corals or any corals they run over.  Ive had a long black spine seaurchin mow down corals before.   My tanks dont have any algae anymore so now i have to hand feed my urchins seaweed every day or two.

A small royal urchin aka tuxedo though should be fine.  I have one and they dont require much and they stay small.

• 1 month later...