SaltCritters.com

Pajama cardinal fish in 10 gallon tank

Just a kid

I Have a 10 gallon saltwater tank with 2 occelaris clownfish for about a year now. Could I add a pajama cardinalfish to this tank.  Or will they get to big. 

• 1 year later...

I am cycling a 10 gallon right now and my local fish store said when I asked about what I could stock it with as well as a pair of clowns and they told me a pj or Bangii could be fine in there with the clowns so I think it’s ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that you are fully stocked with the two clowns. Even seems like too much bioload already depending on your system. Do you have a sump? if so, how big? Macroalgae and or fast growing soft coral to help keep nutrients down? I prefer this as opposed to chemical filtration for nutrient control as you kill two birds with one stone; aesthetics and relatively low maintenance filtration. And wouldn't the clowns have already established territory?  causing them to ''bully'' the cardinal. I'm still learning too, so don't take this post as absolute truth.

• Like 2
Gourami Swami

Maybe without the clowns it would be OK, but with two clowns you've got a full 10 gallon in my opinion.

I had a banggai cardinal in a 14 gallon once, and it seemed OK but I think it would have been better off in a 20+

Two clowns is pretty high bioload in a 10G, especially when they are grown.  While a PJ cardinal doesn't need a ton of swimming space (they tend to sort of hover) they can get to 4 inches long - a fair bit bigger than a banggai, so I still wouldn't keep one in a 20G.

• Like 1