Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 5 Reef Build

Reefer madness 420

Reefer madness 420

Next question. 

What's  a decent RO/DI unit that wouldn't break the bank? I'll be running the 5gallon fluval and a 10gallon quarantine tank. 

Reefer madness 420

Today was the day! All my supplies finally arrived, I mixed up a batch of saltwater (1.025sg) lastnight and had it heating in a bucket. Today I went to Big Al's and had an interesting but enjoyable experience picking up live rock curbside due to COVID19. I drew the employee a picture of what I envisioned my auqascape to be and they nailed it. They pulled these rocks from their display tank and there was about 10lbs. One larger rock did not fit in the fluval, which was to be expected, so it will go into the QT I am setting up. I am currently running filter floss, marine pure blocks and the bio balls that came with the tank. I have also dosed the tank with stability and will do it for the next week to give the tank another boost. 

The "surface skimmer" attachment that comes with the intank media basket works pretty well (the video isn't showing up when I'm trying to attach it to this post). When removed the back chamber ends up filling up with water and I dont know how efficent its filtration is. The negative, if one, is the reduced volume in that back chamber.

Now the negative. When I went to set up the temperature on the aqueon pro 50watt heater, the knob snapped. Apparently this is a common issue with the newer models. I am using a set of pliers to adjust the temperature but its hit or miss not knowing what it's actually set to. I have already reached out to them and waiting on a response. If I'm not confident in the temperature setting before bed tonight I will swap it out for my old 100watt stealth heater (I believe there was a recall on them at some point but desperate times call for desperate measures and it never failed me in the past). 

I have also noticed some, what I assume to be, worms. Also some sort of colony of worms or coral (pics below)? Can anyone ID?

I am currently waiting for the paint to dry on the 10gallon QT tank so I can get that set up and not kill the left over live rock i purchased. 

20200428_222553.jpg

20200428_222625.jpg

20200428_222609.jpg

20200428_222602.jpg

• Like 1
Reefer madness 420
16 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks like things are moving right along. Sorry I am not sure what that little clump is. Looks like some nice rock and I love your stand. I hope you get a replacement heater without problems.

Thanks! I got the stand from wayfair for $150CAD. Aqueon still hasn't replied so I will give them until tomorrow before I try again. I have managers to get the temperature set around 78.8f blindly. 

• Like 1
Reefer madness 420

So today I came home to a small leak in the QT tank. Yes, I did a trial run to see if it held water prior to setting it up, but did not notice any leaks. I had a feeling this would happen as the tank was very old and probably needed to be resealed. I have siphoned all the water back into the jugs I have and placed the LR into a bucket with a heater and power head. I dont know if I'm going to bother trying to set up another QT tank or go with a frag tank. Reason being is that I probably will only be able to house 1 or 2 small fish, so it seems like a waste of space. 

I also tested my water today and it looks like the tank is already cycled because I am using cured LR from an established tank.

My parameters are as follows:

Salinity: 1.025

Temperature: 78.8

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

I dont miss trying to interpret the results on these cards and I'm no stranger to color metric analysis (was a pharmaceutical chemist - now an extraction isolation scientists for a big LP). 

I may keep testing the parameters for the next few days to ensure they're accurate readings. If stable, I may add a fish and a CUC. I dont really want to add a CUC before a fish because I really dont have all that much algae. 

I will also be making another purchase for the following items:

Brine shrimp eggs

Activated carbon (any suggestions?)

A stainless steel razor scraper

Digital pH meter

RO/DI unit (suggestions?)

Reef roids or some sort of fish/coral food (suggestions?)

Copods / amphipods

20200429_223918.jpg

20200429_221724.jpg

20200429_220950.jpg

20200429_220033.jpg

20200429_233053.jpg

• Like 1
Reefer madness 420

So my parameters are staying pretty constant. I maybe seeing a small spike in nitrates but I hate these test lists because it's sometimes hard to match up the colors. 

Last nights (day 2) parameters are as follows:

SG: 1.025

Temp: 80.4f 

Ammonia: 0.0

Nitrite: 0.0

Nitrate: under 5.00 maybe zero

I have been fighting with my temperature. It's extremely hard with no knob to actually know what it's set to. Last night it was a bit high so I lowered it but this morning it was all the way down to 74c. Part of the problem is that this tank is in my basement and it can get colder at night. During the day, my wife will put on the fireplace which will increase the temperature. I have to figure out a happy medium. 

I know its important to keep temperature constant but is there a +/- fluctuation I can get away with?

I dont have much if any algae growth, but I wanted to start stocking slowly in the next few days if I can get my temperature stable. I'm wondering if I should start with a fish or the CUC. With the CUC I'm worried that they will starve since I havent developed any algae blooms. 

What are you guys feeding your fish and corals? 

I will be culturing phytoplankton, brine and possibly pods later on.

I use to feed new life spectrum pellets and brine to the fish and corals back in the day, but not sure if there are better products out now?

Once adding livestock I'm thinking of putting some carbon in the filter. It activated carbon still the way to go? Any suggestions on brands? I heard carbon can leach phosphate out into the tank and absorb valuable nutrients. Is it better to use carbon as needed or is the trade off worth keeping it in your tank at all times? I use to run activated carbon, phosphate remover and folterfloss in my old set up.. not sure if things have changed. 

Reefer madness 420
On 4/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, Clown79 said:

I order mine from canada copepods.

Great company and products. I order the zooplankton blend and phyto pack. I get it within 2 days.

https://copepod.ca/

Hey, do you have a link on f2 fertilizer? I bought the same pack as you and I am thinking of continuing to culture the phytoplankton and copods. If I can culture more pods maybe I can keep a mandarin goby in the tank but um having time finding this fertilizer.

32 minutes ago, Reefer madness 420 said:

Hey, do you have a link on f2 fertilizer? I bought the same pack as you and I am thinking of continuing to culture the phytoplankton and copods. If I can culture more pods maybe I can keep a mandarin goby in the tank but um having time finding this fertilizer.

I've not ever heard of the fertilizer or using fertilizer for culturing pods. I've only ever heard of using phyto for culturing pods

Some fertilizer may not be sold in Cda due to prohibited ingredients

Reefer madness 420
38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I've not ever heard of the fertilizer or using fertilizer for culturing pods. I've only ever heard of using phyto for culturing pods

Some fertilizer may not be sold in Cda due to prohibited ingredients

It's not for the pods. It's to culture the phytoplankton which would be used to feed the pods. 

I found this one out on BC but I'm not sure if it's ok for reef tanks:

Quad Nutro Nutrients Foliar (F2)

I also found exactly what I know would work but it's in Florida lol. I have to see if shipping is ridiculous.

http://floridaaquafarms.com/shop/micro-algae-grow/

Also is new life spectrum marine pellets still a top brand fish food? Or is there something better on the market now? 

Thanks for the help!

12 minutes ago, Reefer madness 420 said:

It's not for the pods. It's to culture the phytoplankton which would be used to feed the pods. 

I found this one out on BC but I'm not sure if it's ok for reef tanks:

Quad Nutro Nutrients Foliar (F2)

I also found exactly what I know would work but it's in Florida lol. I have to see if shipping is ridiculous.

http://floridaaquafarms.com/shop/micro-algae-grow/

Also is new life spectrum marine pellets still a top brand fish food? Or is there something better on the market now? 

Thanks for the help!

I feed a variety of foods from that brand of pellets, pe mysis flakes, and various frozen foods.

• Like 1
Reefer madness 420

So much parameters are pretty stable at the following:

Temperature: 77.4-78.1

Nitrate: 0 - 5

I guess I won't have a full cycle as the LR was already cured and I am using live sand. 

I have zooplankton and phytoplankton coming in the mail inorder to seed my tank. 

I plan on adding the following CUC:

3 Hermits (various coours)

1 turbo snail

2 trochus or Astea snail

2 cerith snail

3 nassarius snail

1 cleaner shrimp or a pistol shrimp for a goby combo

I also found this little guy on the  heater. I believe it's a asterina starfish. Should I remove or keep?

20200502_220504.jpg

Reefer madness 420

Since my water parameters have been stable, today I decided to purchase a few things.

1 gladiator clown

2 blue legg hermits

2 scarlet hermits

1 turbo snail

I named the clown "Maximus". After drip acclimating for 2 hours, I introduced him into the tank. He stayed at the top of the tank in the corner and I was worried something was wrong. Hes now acclimated to his new home and is swimming around happily. 

I'm thinking I will get a pistol shrimp and goby combo and that will be it for fish. 

I've also purchased some jugs to be able to culture my zooplankton and phytoplankton coming in.

20200503_211237.jpg

20200503_211217.jpg

20200503_211204.jpg

20200503_211156.jpg

20200503_211124.jpg

20200503_211102.jpg

20200503_211050.jpg

20200503_150937.jpg

• Like 1
Reefer madness 420

Yesterday I did my first water change after 1 week of setting the tank up. I changed just under 50% of the tanks volume. I also siphoned the sand, scrubbed the rocks with a tooth brush (had some green algae popping up and also want to seed the tank more with coraline), used a foam sponge from the dollarstore on the glass and added the carbon pack that came with the fluval. 

I also ended up adding another powerhead to the tank as I believe the flow is way too low with only the 606, nor was I confident with the cycle rate of the filtration was efficent and finally I was noticing a film appearing on the surface of the water. Since adding the powerhead all of these issues seem to have been solved. The increase in flow also makes the tank feel larger for the clown!

That being said, I went to test parameters after the water change and they were as follows:

Temp: 79f

pH: between 7.8 and 8.0

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0.0

Nitrate: 0.0 to 5.0

I was expecting a bit of a spike due to adding livestock 1 clown, 4 hermits and a turbo snail and the tank being new.

I also may have made a stupid mistake by rinsing my marine pure plates and filter media in regular tape water before replacing them.

I have been doing more heavily on stability and do not have prime on hand. I am waiting to see what parameters are today. Do you think I should purchase prime? 

All the tank inhabitants look fine and maximum (gladiator clown) is eating well and swimming normally. 

Today I noticed I may have the beginnings of a diatom outbreak (pics below). Can someone confirm? It's only noticable on the rocks at the moment. I tried to hit it with the turkey baster but it seems to be stuck on the rock real well. I attribute this to running the lights too long, natural cycle of new tank, increased bioload and lack of snails (LFS should be getting a shipment this week or next).

I have shut off my lights for now to remediate or slow down the issue. Any other advice? Should I purchase phosphate remover? 

I should be recieving my package of phosphate, calcium and alkalinity test kits. Along with coral dip and a few other maintenance related items by monday. I will make sure to test the parameters once they arrive. 

DSC_0885.JPG

DSC_0893.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0944.JPG

20200506_171718.jpg

20200506_171729.jpg

20200506_171732.jpg

20200506_171740.jpg

20200506_171748.jpg

Reefer madness 420

Just checked water parameters and everything is back to normal. Lights are still off and I'm goin got put a blanket over the tank. I will only remove it to give maximus food every other day or so.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Reefer madness 420

2 month update:

PIC HEAVY

So I have been breaking all the myths I've been hearing regarding saltwater tanks and certain corals needing mature tanks etc.

Earlier on I battled the new tank syndrome and had a diatom bloom which I was able to get rid of within a week. I did this by dosing heavily on pods and phytoplankton and a large 40% weekly water change with a small 10% sand bed siphon mid week. I also scrubbed my rocks using a tooth brush before changing out the water. 

I also purchased extra pods and phyto which I am currently culturing. I use guillards F2 formula for the phyto and do a weekly water change using the "waste" water to seed my tank further.

I've noticed at least two pod blooms in my DT and culture tanks which is great.

I have upgraded my light to the AI prime 16HD and am running the new BRS schedule dialed down to 40% as I have a mixed reef.

I had purchased two clowns; the gladiator and frostbite. Unfortunately when I added the psychadelic dragonette I found the gladiator on the floor the next morning. I was planning on buying a piece of egg crate to make a lid, but before I could (within a day) the frostbite had also jumped on me. 😞

I had also purchased many many many corals which I will list below and a porcelain crab which i havent seen since the first day I added it to the tank🤷‍♂️, I've even removed the rocks lol... 

Im still doing 1 large weekly water change and 1 smaller for the sand bed. I spot feed my corals weekly using frozen mysis, reef roids, reef energy AB. I also dose reef energy AB daily along with purple up. 

Parameters (as of june 11th before weekly water change):

Temp: 79f

Salinity: 1.025

pH: 8.2

Nitrate: 10ppm+

Phosphate: 0.26ppm

Alkalinity: 8.0dkh

Magnesium: 1300ppm

Calcium: 410ppm

My phosphate and nitrate levels have been high since day 1. My phosphates were as high as  0.67ppm and my corals were thriving (I have new growth on a lot of the frags). Recently I have been using ROWA in the filter and have gotten levels down. I'm also using salifert nitrate and have no idea if my reading is 10ppm or higher. 

Stock List:

Fish:

Psychadelic dragonette

Invertebrates:

4-6 hermits (blue and scralet)

3 Astrea snail

4-6 tronchus snail

1 turbo snail

6 baby cerith snails

2 bumblebee snails

1 porcelain crab (????)

Corals:

Zoas/palys:

Purple monsters (4 new heads within a few weeks - quarter sized heads)

Rastas

Scrambled eggs

Sunny D

Gorilla nipples

Pink hippos

Captain jerks (had to frag them because they grew like weeks)

Euphyllia:

2.5 head real hammer

2 head gold hammer

1 head splatter hammer

1 head pink hammer (coming soon)

Hammers are pissed right now because I had them in the wrong place and I just found out they dont like high phosphates.... working on that with ROWA

Mushrooms:

Rainbow ric

Green ric

Forrest fire 

Purple/green/blue mushroom(?)

Intrastellar bounce

Pink and green Yuma (coming soon)

Open brain coral

2 types of ultra rainbow acans

Merletti blasto (purple with green mouth)

Candy cane (purple with green mouth)

Blue sympodium

neon green star polyp

Purple photosynthetic gorg

Rainbow clove polyps

Duncan (has about 7 new baby heads showing tenticles) 

Found out that duncans love high phosphates hence the split.

SPS:

PC Rainbow acro

Monti comfusious

Green stylo

Honeycomb lepastrial

Meteor shower cyphastria

Now for the pics!

20200613_212448.jpg

20200613_212442.jpg

20200613_212437.jpg

20200613_212355.jpg

That really sucks about both clowns jumping. The corals looks great once they grow over those frag plugs it will make a huge difference. You are well on your way to a beautiful reef. It just needs a little time to fill in. 

6 hours ago, Reefer madness 420 said:

20200613_113117.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Reefer madness 420

Anyone know what the smallest footprint dual HOB reactor is? Looking to fill one with ROWA/reef carbon and the other with rock rubble/cheato. 

Also... more pics! 

20200621_082213.jpg

20200621_103138.jpg

20200621_103148.jpg

20200621_103206.jpg

20200621_103212.jpg

20200621_103228.jpg

20200621_103233.jpg

20200621_103238.jpg

20200621_103245.jpg