Innovative Marine Aquariums

This random thing started growing out of my sand!

Abzdot

Hi, so I started my reef tank 3-4 weeks ago now and I have live rock and live sand.

I have just noticed that this random little thing has popped out of the sand!

any idea what it is??

EBC128B4-33AD-4D43-B545-F8D15F93E162.jpeg

501176A5-303A-415B-94ED-0677F9CAD0F5.jpeg

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Abzdot said:

Hi, so I started my reef tank 3-4 weeks ago now and I have live rock and live sand.

I have just noticed that this random little thing has popped out of the sand!

any idea what it is??

EBC128B4-33AD-4D43-B545-F8D15F93E162.jpeg

501176A5-303A-415B-94ED-0677F9CAD0F5.jpeg

Is it soft? Looks like cespitularia to me. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Is it soft? Looks like cespitularia to me. 

It seems soft to me, with the power head it moves very slightly but doesn’t flow around like hammer head or torch corals

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Abzdot said:

It seems soft to me, with the power head it moves very slightly but doesn’t flow around like hammer head or torch corals

Look up cespitularia.  It looks very similar to what you have when closed up. It’s very pretty but can grow like a weed.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Look up cespitularia.  It looks very similar to what you have when closed up. It’s very pretty but can grow like a weed.  

Personally I am not too certain myself, I have looked at pictures and can’t really tell. I am also really new to this hobby and I got 2 clowns and a small colony of zoanthids. When it grows ill come back here to send updates pictures! I currently think that it is inconclusive due to it looking really generic. My first thought was a Kenya tree.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Abzdot said:

Personally I am not too certain myself, I have looked at pictures and can’t really tell. I am also really new to this hobby and I got 2 clowns and a small colony of zoanthids. When it grows ill come back here to send updates pictures! I currently think that it is inconclusive due to it looking really generic. My first thought was a Kenya tree.

It could be a Kenya tree....... but I’m sticking with my first guess because of the shape. I’m gonna try to find some old pics of mine before I ripped it all out and see if that helps you identify it. 

Edited by WV Reefer
Couldn’t find a single pic. 😄 I only had it a few months before tearing it back out again.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, WV Reefer said:

It could be a Kenya tree....... but I’m sticking with my first guess because of the shape. I’m gonna try to find some old pics of mine before I ripped it all out and see if that helps you identify it. 

Update! as I promised 🙂.

I hope you have stayed safe during the coronavirus lockdown!

The cespitularia has grown to the extent of having little arms. Unfortunately I have had an outbreak of cyano but I am sorting it out

image0.jpg

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Abzdot said:

Update! as I promised 🙂.

I hope you have stayed safe during the coronavirus lockdown!

The cespitularia has grown to the extent of having little arms. Unfortunately I have had an outbreak of cyano but I am sorting it out

image0.jpg

That’s great! 😊  It’s starting to look less like Cespitularia now that it has arms. I’m interested to see what it turns into. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clownfish king said:

That’s cool! Are you using live or dry rock. If it’s live well that’s where you got it from!

all of my rock is live rock, I cannot complain about this "pest" 🙂 

Don't worry too much about the cyano. Keep your nitrates and phosphates within reasonable bounds (which means not super low, either!) and it'll probably go away on its own. It's very common in new tanks. 

Nice find, but you may want to relocate it to somewhere it won't cause you any problems when it inevitably spreads. They're a very "keep this on its own little rock" coral.

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...
jcrisman2009

Cespitularia sp.
Scientific classificatione
Kingdom:    Animalia
Phylum:    Cnidaria
Class:    Anthozoa
Order:    Alcyonacea
Family:    Xeniidae
Genus:    Cespitularia

On 8/26/2020 at 4:39 AM, Nano sapiens said:

Interesting!  Where did you get your live rock from?

From some random Albanian guy off ebay for £3 per kg