Innovative Marine Aquariums

8g “Ultra Low Maintenance” Cube

bbetta

Hey guys!

It’s been a while since I posted on this forum as I transitioned back to freshwater for some years due to work and lack of time. I have grown quite bored of my freshwater cubes and I’m planning to get back on the saltwater hobby taking baby steps. Free time is still in short supply.  

I want a simple cube with a clownfish pair (tank bred percula 2-4cm at the time of purchase). The tank will be FOWLR at first but I know I’ll want to graduate to corals at some point. 

I have attached pictures of the equipment I’m going to use.

• I’d really like your input on the light fixture (the larger model). Do you think it will suffice for softies?
  • As you can see in the pics I chose somewhat low flow. During my past experience (20g with 2300 l/h) I saw my small clownfish struggling to keep up. They’d stay on the same spot in a corner. When I turned off the pumps though, it was a different story.
  • During the FOWLR period, would you suggest I keep the salinity at a lower level, let’s say 1023, to allow room for error and save some money? Would you go any lower?
  • The set up will be minimal with a few pieces of rock and Aragonite sand just enough to hide the glass. 997DFE81-B372-43C1-8713-A606B85D0FC5.jpeg.3506c3a6b5706ed358bfa257a2509a36.jpeg5B0354C6-810E-42C7-8B38-A4978A966C28.thumb.jpeg.109dde49c5859baeb2edae8c296ebfe5.jpegED64CB4D-AF14-40B3-A4B1-DC5C857B70E6.thumb.png.2032a1f2925f8951d7c2076b073e15ed.png

So here’s a list of what I want to achieve with this tank. 
Any tips are appreciated

1. The least maintenance possible 

2. The least ALGAE possible after the diatom bloom

3. Choose an affordable light that will allow growing softies in the future. 

Thanks!

EDIT: I  eventually picked up Versamax 2 for filtration and circulation, which adds about 0.5 gallons of water volume and is rated at 800 l/h

PS. Here’s my old tank!

46609045-37FE-4794-9913-7618AD8C3754.thumb.jpeg.06313c3bdaaa3798c87911c870e27db8.jpeg

Edited by bbetta
  • Like 1

Recommended SG for clown fish 1.023 - 1.025. So please aim for 1.024. I have no experience or knowledge of that light. As most would recommend buy the best light you can afford so you don't have to waste money replacing it later. You already know this can be an expensive hobby. It is better to gather your equipment slowly so you can be frugal and know when some thing is a good deal rather than try to find the cheapest. Your previous tank looks very nice. Welcome back and good luck with your tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time to lurk as well 😉 

I noticed in one image that you're using three rocks as opposed to the four(?) in the sketch you provided. Have your plans for coral placement changed? 

• Like 2

Thanks for noticing @Leoito!  I actually have cured a few more pieces that I didn’t eventually use. I’ll probably add some in the future, when I run out of real estate. The two islands you see in the photo will be covered with GSP and Xenia. Zoas will occupy the right side of the main rock, caulastrea will occupy the top and Ricordeas will fill all the other spots. At least that’s the plan! 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 3:18 AM, cheesesteak said:

That is the tiniest damsel 🥺 Looking great so far! 

He’s so tiny that he got sucked in the filter and got through the propeller. I noticed him Monday morning when I passed across the tank and he was stationary. He didn’t dart into the rock as he always does at first when he senses sudden movement in front of the tank. 
He has 3 pretty huge scars on the one side like his scales were pulled off. 

I actually thought it was so unlikely for this to happen that I rushed to perform a 20% WC and dose Microbacter7 + Prime, fearing of a NH3 spike or some toxin. I cured the rock for a month trying to eliminate this scenario.

I managed to feed him and now it looks like he’s going to make it. Tomorrow is my 4th day dosing API Melafix, I hope this helps him. I don’t see any signs of infection. 

Do you think his scales will grow back with time and is it likely that he’ll recover entirely?

• Sad 1

Oh, poor baby. If he isn't damaged internally, he should recover. Yes, the scales will grow back- he'll be growing new ones anyway, as he gets bigger. It might be good to give him another hiding place, if you can, to help with the stress. Somewhere big enough he can easily fit inside. I like big shells as fish spots.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tired said:

Oh, poor baby. If he isn't damaged internally, he should recover. Yes, the scales will grow back- he'll be growing new ones anyway, as he gets bigger. It might be good to give him another hiding place, if you can, to help with the stress. Somewhere big enough he can easily fit inside. I like big shells as fish spots.

Thanks for the reply. 
As far as I can tell there’s no internal damage. The LR has so many connected tunnels and caves that I literally have no idea where his sleeping spot is, even though I know he resides in a specific place for that (good luck removing pests from that rock😂...). He was very shy the first couple of days and he gave me a hard time getting him to eat, but now he’s acting normally. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Today marks 2 months since setting up my tank.
There have been zero changes, I’m running the lights just about 1 hour per day, but the tank also receives tons of indirect sunlight in the summer.
I’m patiently waiting the hot weather to pass so I can add corals and slowly automating some processes.
Here are some great pics of my damselfish that a friend captured. I love this little fella! Enjoy 😃13885629-31CD-43D1-A6BA-BA74DFCBA535.thumb.jpeg.1800ce42c40e928370b27a9f250b9086.jpeg

DF28AA65-AE70-4644-99F3-D57D685354E3.thumb.jpeg.1c292cfa6d7d35cb131e060b39c3f605.jpeg21AD3F54-87DF-4D1A-9672-F18B11D1586D.thumb.jpeg.87fe48e2885b6ae5d6bcd4d035a68b33.jpeg

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

Here’s a quick update! Sadly my fish died while I was on vacation, even though someone was taking care of my tank. He just disappeared.

I replaced him with a Chrysiptera Talboti damselfish and finally I got my first corals after three months of waiting!

6ABF5BB7-437B-448C-9063-2CB33B9C1BB4.thumb.jpeg.b625e6ced9b14f8c3d9b23a90c942ab2.jpeg

• Like 3

Interesting combo kit. Super exciting! I’m no expert, but if your new corals start looking sad in a month, it might be time for a new light. That’s the one thing I skimped on over the years - there’s a reason the good LED’s are $300+

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I like the new guy too!

Thanks! The new fish is slightly bigger and more outgoing. I chose a Talboti because it’s one of the smallest fish in the Chrysiptera genus, it must be already reaching its max size. 

12 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Interesting combo kit. Super exciting! I’m no expert, but if your new corals start looking sad in a month, it might be time for a new light. That’s the one thing I skimped on over the years - there’s a reason the good LED’s are $300+

You’re totally right about lighting. This is what I’ve concluded with my previous effort keeping a reef tank. Despite that, the reason I got back into reefing is that I found such a cheap light that looks very promising. My total expenses for the tank have not exceeded $300, as of this moment.  
A friend bought the exact same set up with me and did not wait three months before adding coral. Even though we started around the same date, he tried adding various corals (SPS even) from the first month. He has been able to grow Seriatopora and Stylophora with amazing results! I believe this is very promising, knowing that my plans for this tank are 80% softies 20% easy LPS (All Caulastrea types). 
He’s running his light 11 hours per day (full intensity) and I’ve started at 9 hours (my fixture is placed about 4 inches closer to the surface). I’m thinking about increasing my lighting period or leaving it as it is. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Time for a photo update. Things are looking quite good. Corals are doing well but some are just ok. I think I need to increase direct feedings. There’s a film type algae outbreak going on the past weeks and that’s why I have not increased feeding . I do not have a clean up crew yet (have been waiting for my LFS to import Trochus snails for ages). 

I have finally added a gravity fed ATO and both the lighting and circulation of the tank are monitored via WiFi. Lighting period is 10 hours. 

Tell my what you think!

Newly acquired Zoas. Debating on whether I should place them on the rock and let them spread or not. 

CA794FA8-936B-4AC9-B555-99F92FF8471B.thumb.jpeg.fc1eaae68bc5ee5f176ac91858051b2a.jpeg

B9768F8F-9636-41E1-B274-528DC9A39890.thumb.jpeg.5f29e22152239a564db147ddf0a41dff.jpeg

My little buddy. Not as much color as other chrysiptera but he’s outgoing and intelligent. 92AB2F3E-D8A9-4AD5-93F4-0B5A82684026.thumb.jpeg.2b926fa779d3c50107c9c9894d36f914.jpeg238BFA76-B83C-465E-AE3E-726B4E5D9E52.thumb.jpeg.acddd083898ef558a8ef4e073a5d04f9.jpeg

• Like 4