SaltCritters.com

Help please: Zoa are becoming translucent and skirts are becoming longer.

chaostactics

chaostactics
I haven't made any changes to the tank recently except adding more Zoa and Paly. I have an 80 cube that's 95% Zoa/Paly probably about 20-25 different morphs.

I've noticed over the last month or two many of the Zoa and Paly skirts getting longer doubling or even tripling in length.
Additionally my magicians are becoming transparent the disk has shifted from red to translucent pink and the blue speckles are still present but are also becoming transparent.

The tank is an 80 cube with a radion xr30 pro running coral lab and with peak 60% intensity.

15% water change every 3 weeks. Tank has plenty of flow but not aggressive flow and is filtered by a MBR 157 cheato reactor, bubble magnus curve skimmer, and Rox Carbon. Filter socks get changed M, W, F and I feed the fish daily ground up new life spectrum and I feed the corals reef roids once or twice a week.
15d93806416293.gif

Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderline

Text colorFont size

Insert linkInsert imageInsert videoSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

Toggle BB code

POST REPLY PREVIEW

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe considering the set up
  • Never considered it
  • Other (please explain)
CAST VOTE VIEW RESULTS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Totals may include hidden visitors.
GHL Advanced Technology

Advertise with us

Want to grow your business and reach a wider audience? Contact us today to start your advertisement!
ADVERTISE TODAY

• REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum woul

Is it possible these are just extended so much that there colors are diluted. Maybe  stretching to get more light to feed the algae inside them. Running a chaeto reactor and carbon is removing a lot of stuff from your water that some corals thrive on. 

Apparently placement will effect the color of zoas/palys or the intensity of the light. If they  get too much light they would likely open less until they adjust.

I have about 7 different types of these and over the past 6 months(when I got them) today they look totally different and are thriving. 

If yours are not melting away they should adjust in time and any changes should be very gradual.

chaostactics

@Clown79 I have had an issue with a tank being "too clean" in the past. I use an Innovative Marine food grinder when I feed my fish so I was hoping that that would provide some food aside from light. 

Maybe I'll step up my reef roids, it's just a PITA to target feed so many corals. 

4 hours ago, chaostactics said:

@Clown79 I have had an issue with a tank being "too clean" in the past. I use an Innovative Marine food grinder when I feed my fish so I was hoping that that would provide some food aside from light. 

Maybe I'll step up my reef roids, it's just a PITA to target feed so many corals. 

You can broadcast feed them reef roids.

You use rox carbon... maybe use less carbon or a longer interval between changing it out . If you target feed a turkey baster works well. Turn off all the filtration and flow, a little squirt above the colony will float down .