ReefCleaners.org

how big do trachys get?? 7 inch guy here

errand

When I first bought this guy [one of my first 3 corals 12 months ago] he looked like this. Its almost exactly 12 months, this was 21st April 2019. He would have been shy of 2 inches at the longest, little tiny thing. 

Now however, its a monster, bigger than both my outspread hands together. I measured it 7 inches at the widest. I really love this coral but I'm a bit worried as there is literally no more sand space in the small tank that I have. Do they get any bigger? he doesn't seem to want to stop growing. Tank is a 45cm cube and he's past a third of the floorspace. 

21april2019.jpg

trachymonster.jpg

trachymon.jpg

He will keep growing! He looks happy and is inflating well, so not stressed by his confined area at the moment.

growth will start to appear slower, as it will take a lot more growth to show small increases in size to his skeleton.

over 4 years I had one grow from 3” long to just short of 9” before I shut down the tank and he went to my LFS.

although LPS trachea will use up a lot of calc as they grow bigger ...... are you dosing yet?

i have never done it myself, but if he has a few moths you may be able to divide him in 2....... ask someone who has done it how to do it!

not dosing calcium yet, I'm using red sea coral pro salt though, and have recently started paying attention to my alk since I got some sps frags I want to try.

Calcium in the tank is around 490 at the moment. 9 inches my goodness. Another excuse to get a bigger tank, not that I needed any more 🙂

As long as he's still happy I'm glad, still my favorite coral so far. 

I havent been able to keep either a lobo or a scolly though, I thought they'd be similar as far as care goes. This guy just keeps powering on.