Coral Vue Hydros

Will 6500k LEDs grow Coral? Discussion

Nathans_Reef

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Maybe?

If the manufacturer can provide spectral data that would be far more useful. Color temperature generally just speaks on how white the lights are. My LEDs probably offer the same Kelvin reading, but I sort of nerfed it so I can have more red wavelengths coming through (the soft coral seem to like it).

• Thanks 1

6500k is really for plants/algae.

Some low light corals will live under that spectrum but will not produce nice colours. They will look brown and fleshy coloured. 

Corals do best with 10k-22k

• Thanks 1
Nathans_Reef
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

6500k is really for plants/algae.

Some low light corals will live under that spectrum but will not produce nice colours. They will look brown and fleshy coloured. 

Corals do best with 10k-22k

Do you think it is worth a try with a small low light coral?

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
8 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Do you think it is worth a try with a small low light coral?

I think one thing I've learned as I have progressed in the hobby is that it's okay to upgrade incrementally. The basic Current USA Marine LED (the orbit one) maxes out at 8000K. I'm going to tell you that the colors on some of my coral have changed to be more earthy. Colors are definitely a subjective thing as I think most people will differ from me. I prefer earthy subdued colors since that is what I have seen a lot of diving videos (this is also mostly to account that red to yellow wavelengths disappear very quickly as you progress deep into the water column of interest). The candy canes I bought from work were maroon around the septa but after being in my tank for about a month they're closer to a light coffee brown. My leather corals don't seem to mind at all. However I am considering combining (or selling what I have) and getting a stronger LED strip.

If you can get a frag of what is considered a low light coral then I think it's worth the experiment. Even the slightest nub of soft coral should eventually grow over the course of a several months in 6500K LEDs. Growth will certainly take longer since there isn't as much photons utilized for photosynthetic activity to take place. Just something to think about.

• Thanks 1
On 4/6/2020 at 1:10 PM, Nathans_Reef said:

Will 6500k LEDs Grow Coral? What do you Guys think?

this was under stock fluval flex light avertized at 7500k 

IMG_6934.jpg

IMG_6903.JPG

Growth rate will be slow, spectrum isn't just for our preferences. Corals do require a certain spectrum which is 10k-22k.

Low light vs spectrum is completely different. 

Light is their food source, just like plants.

Can some of them live under inadequate circumstances, yes but they may just be surviving. 

I've personally have tried basic lights and ended upgraded within a few mnths.

You can certainly upgrade without spending tons of money but unfortunately lighting is 1 of the most important things for corals, so its usually the most expensive equipment that we purchase.

• Like 2

Look up articles on photo-acclimation and corals.  

Not all corals will adapt since many in the hobby these days are deep water varieties.  But many others (look first at old-school corals) WILL adapt if you take the proper precautions, including having a tank that is healthy overall.

Also look up articles on 10,000K vs 20,000K coloration...you won't get the same coloration from daylight frequencies.