Pod Your Reef

My 2 Gallon Jar Reef

Alyciac327

I finally got my jar reef set up!  For fun, I thought I would share the process so far.  I'm cycling it now and am almost ready to have corals.  My ammonia is down to zero.  Still waiting for the nitrates to drop.    For water movement, I started with an air bubbler but later decided to upgrade to a filter for tanks under 10 gallons.  The tank looks clearer and the water movement is ideal.  I have two and a half pounds of live rock in the jar.  For lighting I have ABI 12W Tuna Blue LED Bulb Coral Reef Optimized Spectrum PAR38 attached to a desk lamp.  When I can put coral in the jar, I plan on getting zoas and a toadstool for sure.  Still thinking about what else.  If you have any recommendations on beginner corals let me know! 

IMG_20200402_103914_144.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Alyciac327 said:

I finally got my jar reef set up!  For fun, I thought I would share the process so far.  I'm cycling it now and am almost ready to have corals.  My ammonia is down to zero.  Still waiting for the nitrates to drop.    For water movement, I started with an air bubbler but later decided to upgrade to a filter for tanks under 10 gallons.  The tank looks clearer and the water movement is ideal.  I have two and a half pounds of live rock in the jar.  For lighting I have ABI 12W Tuna Blue LED Bulb Coral Reef Optimized Spectrum PAR38 attached to a desk lamp.  When I can put coral in the jar, I plan on getting zoas and a toadstool for sure.  Still thinking about what else.  If you have any recommendations on beginner corals let me know! 

IMG_20200402_103914_144.jpg

Nitrates don't drop on their own, they need to be reduced by waterchanges. Nitrites drop on their own.

You can add coral once the cycle is complete and you have done your first waterchange, ensuring there are no spikes in ammonia and nitrates are at acceptable levels.

Toadstools are great but grow quickly, so be prepared to frag it.

Other great ideas are acan's, blasto's, duncans. 

On 4/5/2020 at 9:52 PM, Clown79 said:

Nitrates don't drop on their own, they need to be reduced by waterchanges. Nitrites drop on their own.

You can add coral once the cycle is complete and you have done your first waterchange, ensuring there are no spikes in ammonia and nitrates are at acceptable levels.

Toadstools are great but grow quickly, so be prepared to frag it.

Other great ideas are acan's, blasto's, duncans. 

Maybe it was nitrites then.  They said it would drop on its own.  Thank you for the tips!  I had a toadstool in my first tank 10 years ago.  It survived way better than all of the other corals I tried out.  I was more interested in fish back then so I didn't pay close attention to my corals and it still thrived.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a few frags the other day, zoas, a toadstool, and blue clove.  The zoas and blue clove look good but the toadstool is being really finicky.  It still hasn't fully expanded.  Is this normal?  

IMG_20200424_162034_072.jpg

Elizabeth94

Love jars! Yes leathers can be a bit cranky at times. It may also be shedding and you may even be able to see a waxy coating on them or a glossy appearance. Just give it some time. 

41 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Love jars! Yes leathers can be a bit cranky at times. It may also be shedding and you may even be able to see a waxy coating on them or a glossy appearance. Just give it some time. 

Thanks so much!  

• 4 weeks later...
Alyciac327

A few days ago, a store sold me fresh instead of salt water.  Trusting them, I did my water change and then most of my corals went down hill fast.  I lost a toadstool and a monti.  Still hoping my zoas survive.  My water is now back on track and all parameters are stable.  I went to another store and bought a white willow toadstool and a blastomussa merletti.  I hope they survive better than my others did.  I'm so angry at the store but also at myself for being so trusting.  Photos soon. 

• Sad 1