SaltCritters.com

Red Sand Algae AI Prime lighting or maybe water?

Gakarl100

Update on the salinity test, took my refractormeter by the LFS.  Did comparison testing, I was calibrating incorrectly.  on my red sea there is  left and right side reading.  Red sea you have to calibrate off the right side which is a hair lower than the left side.  Even though I use the left side reading you calibrate off the right.  If I read directions better I would have know that.  Duh

Refractometer2_800x.png

24 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Update on the salinity test, took my refractormeter by the LFS.  Did comparison testing, I was calibrating incorrectly.  on my red sea there is  left and right side reading.  Red sea you have to calibrate off the right side which is a hair lower than the left side.  Even though I use the left side reading you calibrate off the right.  If I read directions better I would have know that.  Duh

Refractometer2_800x.png

Since your refracto has ppt, you should use that since its much easier to read - you are aiming for a big line (35) instead of a smaller line. It's far more important to be consistent than it is to be exact. Don't sweat your salinity being slightly off as long as it's consistent - in nature the salinity of the ocean varies quite a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
Gakarl100

so its all cleared up. not sure what did the trick but I installed a tunze 9001 skimmer, also cut back on feeding.  Sand looks fantastic

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/5/2020 at 9:33 PM, Gakarl100 said:

All good stuff appreciate the feedback!  When you say mechanical filtration would you recommend I use a skimmer?   I did a 33% water change tonight.  I have been sticking with weekly 20% trying to avoid a skimmer to soon as I was worried about stripping in these early stages.  Probably will invest in RODI filter next, as getting distilled water right now is a PIA since the groceries only let you by 2 gallon as a time and have cleaner water with a rodi is only gonna help.  Anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced RODI?

Was going to suggest a skimmer and say that you just added the new pump....so the tank (presumably, or why a new pump??) HAD flow problems at least until recently.

Flow is what keeps food from becoming detritus and what keeps detritus from becoming algae food.   Both kinds of organic matter have to stay afloat long enough for a coral or fish to consume them so they can all be "food" for the tank instead of "waste" for you or the filters.  

In poor flow, food, leftovers and poop all descend into the sand bed (or into the rocks) via gravity to be consumed by algae and bacteria....not the goal.  Flow is your best friend in this.