SaltCritters.com

Ratvan

33 minutes ago, SvenB said:

Love the floating scape!! You don't use a filter? Just water change's?

Thank you, nope it is only the pump for flow and live rock for the filtration. Small water changes 5-10% per week to get detritus out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I have slacked off with the testing, now I test a once a week instead of daiily. Have been trying to get Nitrates and Phosphates up slightly to avoid the worst of the nuisance algaes. Happy with the levels at the moment, the few LPS look good

Salinity 1.024
PH 8
Alk 11 DKH
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 5
PO4 0.2
Calcium 410
Mag 1310

• Like 5

Even though it is doing a great job alone in the tank my Hermit is losing the battle against hairy algae.

IMG_20200422_123445.thumb.jpg.3930531f4b594981da5157d96d486e4d.jpg

IMG_20200422_123453.thumb.jpg.c53df16ade970645e5e84471df9440d2.jpg

I plan on having a word with a fellow Reefer to see if he has any CuC he can send my way. He did say he was after some Macros and I cannot find somewhere suitable for mine

IMG_20200422_123535.thumb.jpg.b5d3dac324a5aa07ae99a21c36796440.jpg

IMG_20200422_123539.thumb.jpg.0065e9f818247d150f2359181fc57ea8.jpg

If I up flow more the Elegance looks like crap and I worry about it rupturing on the rocks. 

IMG_20200422_123525.thumb.jpg.f14caf463bf82067a8dd1434143418cc.jpg

Colours slowly coming out more as I work up my intensity, need to find a balance that brings the colours out of all three. 

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

That elegance is so pretty.  

Are you dosing for nitrate and phosphate or just feeding?  

Thanks, it was cheaper because of the split colour face. That's the reason I picked this one. 

One feeding of Frozen BBS a week at the moment, being careful not to 0 out or over feed. I don't have much RODI left so don't want too many water changes

• Like 2

So today noticed that the Elegance has developed a number of new tentacles, also a few of the tenticles are also splitting

IMG_20200424_101633.thumb.jpg.9db88e515a803a98a0daacac40b0d330.jpg

IMG_20200424_101624.thumb.jpg.93c3c0472fcd5979bdbef70d28bc7df2.jpg

IMG_20200424_101641.thumb.jpg.aca9e9abe0b2a1f07eeae91f6a5c12a1.jpg

So need to wait a week until payday then I can make a purchase of CuC and corals so I hit free shipping. Hopefully can find another sale. 

• Like 5

Your shot isn't too bad. You have some hi lights and shadows. Cold be better, but its because all of our lighting comes from the top. Occasionally I have taken a flashlight and brought light in from the side to get a different effect. I might go play around now.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Your shot isn't too bad. You have some hi lights and shadows. Cold be better, but its because all of our lighting comes from the top. Occasionally I have taken a flashlight and brought light in from the side to get a different effect. I might go play around now.

I have a plan to keep a fox coral in that far left dark corner, so need to scoot the Elegance up so the Sweeper doesnt touch the edge of the tank, might need a well placed rock as well. 

I do need to raise the light a smidge to see how much spill I get outside the tank, and the intensity as well is still slowly increasing. I just don't like the blue look but that's what brings the colours out best

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

DO fox corals like shade? How long have you had the elegance? They are beautiful, but I've always been wary of them. I've not seen too me reefers keep them long term

Indirect lighting is what I have read, the corner is illuminated..... just. It's hard to get a good shot with the beautifully sunny  weather at the moment. Maybe in 5 or so hours 

1 week today. 🥳

Yeah I took a gamble on it, I think it should do well. I do need a tank upgrade, We've decided on a 36x15x12 tank. Might order the tank in a week, need to see if I do get 100% pay in my bank before I do that though

• Like 1

So decided to turn off the pump and take a toothbrush to the furry algae on the top of the rocks. Took about 50% off the larger rock and did a very dirty water change. 

Took the opportunity to move the Catalaphyllia while it was closed up. The stickiness of the tentacles weird me out

IMG_20200426_143803.jpg

IMG_20200426_143751.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

The stickiness of the tentacles weird me out

I think it's pretty cool... RFAs are sticky, but you can't really feel it much under the water.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I think it's pretty cool... RFAs are sticky, but you can't really feel it much under the water.

My Mrs is taking the piss at the moment. I was happier trying to trim a pea puffers beak then I was having that touch my wrist. I feel unclean 

• Haha 4
Rob Francis

I like the floating rock mate, there's a nice one on Ultimate reef in the Pico section if you have a look. 

I was going to try something similar but couldnt work out how to get it how I wanted so went with the semi floating rock that you saw in my thread.

Are you going to keep it filterless, do you ever use any chemical/mechanical filtration?

Rob

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Rob Francis said:

I like the floating rock mate, there's a nice one on Ultimate reef in the Pico section if you have a look. 

I was going to try something similar but couldnt work out how to get it how I wanted so went with the semi floating rock that you saw in my thread.

Are you going to keep it filterless, do you ever use any chemical/mechanical filtration?

Rob

That's the one where he cut the rock and mounted it on an acrylic table, it's a nice idea also means that his rock is removable as well. Nope, nothing like that just flow and live rock for a filter, I do need a couple of detrivorous snails to work on and in the sandbed but overall so much happier with the simplicity of this set up

• Like 1