Cultivated Reef

Wanting to start again!

josh582

Hi all,

I used to have tanks quite a few years ago now, as you can see from my join date it was quite awhile ago now lol.

At one point I had 4 tanks running of various sizes and purposes. I am looking at getting back into the hobby again as I have so dearly missed it. I see a lot has changed since then and also a lot more tech available now too. I live in NZ currently which is quite a small population and not a lot of choice for equipment etc. We are currently in lockdown for 4 weeks so I thought what a great opportunity to start researching again and coming up with some ideas for my new tank.

I’d like you to recommend some good pieces of equipment for automation as much as possible and I’d like to look at making this tank as automated as possible. I am aware it’s costly but I’m not too worried about that at this stage and first of all want to look at some best options. I’d plan on keeping mainly LPS corals with some softy’s, maybe a couple SPS too in the future. Fish wise I’d only probably be wanting maximum 4 to 5 fish but I’m not so hung up on amount of fish I can have as I know nanos can’t have too many in. Please can you suggest a good size tank for this too and any ideas you’d have to make it successful?

For automation — the Neptune Apex system is considered the gold standard. You can set it up to automate everything from water testing to water changes.... if you have the $$$ and patience. 

Regarding tank size to keep 4-5 fish: depends on the fish. What sort of fish interest you?

Most say bigger is better but I like my Red Sea Reefer 250 as a nice size, main display 54g. But if you want Tangs, anthias, etc bigger is better for that.  

ato - tunze 3155 gets most people’s votes as the best. 

power head - mp10 or 40 still great for no wires in tank, good flow and easy maintenance. 

I don’t use a controller but seems apex is still the leader for those that do. And while not needed if I had the extra funds I would get one as some advantages, Especially for what you are asking about. 

just a few ideas and hope it helps a little 

19 minutes ago, KMitch said:

For automation — the Neptune Apex system is considered the gold standard. You can set it up to automate everything from water testing to water changes.... if you have the $$$ and patience. 

Regarding tank size to keep 4-5 fish: depends on the fish. What sort of fish interest you?

I have seen the Neptune system, it looks incredible with what it can offer the user. Fish wise I love clownfish like many people lol! So they are definitely a must. I do like some tangs but I know the minimum size requirements they need and I’m not wanting a tank that big so I’ll pass on those. Yellow clown gobies also a favourite, the fish I’ve had in the past have always been relatively small when they reach there adult size so not wanting to put a shark in a 10 gallon or anything crazy like that lol

22 minutes ago, Mrod1! said:

Most say bigger is better but I like my Red Sea Reefer 250 as a nice size, main display 54g. But if you want Tangs, anthias, etc bigger is better for that.  

ato - tunze 3155 gets most people’s votes as the best. 

power head - mp10 or 40 still great for no wires in tank, good flow and easy maintenance. 

I don’t use a controller but seems apex is still the leader for those that do. And while not needed if I had the extra funds I would get one as some advantages, Especially for what you are asking about. 

just a few ideas and hope it helps a little 

Thanks for your input, those Red Sea reefers look stunning and have to say I am leaning more towards those tanks out of the ones I’ve looked at so far. I always wanted a redsea max when they first came out and now I see the reefers and just think they are stunning!

• Like 1