Coral Vue Hydros

Question about artificial corals in FOWLR tank.

EPMH59

I will soon be starting up a FOWLR tank, but intended to add color and spice it up by using artificial coral. I originally planned to aquascape and use epoxy to attach the corals to the live rock and give it a more natural look.

However, after doing more research, I’ve learned that the artificial corals attract algae and need to be taken out for regular cleanings. This is fine, but I now run into a problem with attaching them to the live rock because of this, as removing the entire rock fixture would be entirely counterproductive.

Is there any work around for this?

Alternatively, going this route, would it potentially just be better for me to go fish only instead of FOWLR and just use fake rock? Although I’ve heard that fish only is extremely hard to maintain.

You can just scrub the algae off with a tank dedicated toothbrush and siphon out the algae during waterchanges

Getting snails and hermits will also keep them clean

• Like 1

Fake corals always looks so fake.

Why not consider some easy to keep corals like red mushroom corals...or just keep it a FOWLR?  Your fish will be the color, after all.

If you do end up going with fake corals, I recommend having one set for in the tank and one set that can be in the process of being cleaned.

• Like 1

Alternately, you could try macroalgae. There are some nice red ones that grow easily under a not-too-expensive light, won't go too nuts, and will give you a slightly reef-like look. Graciliaria is one- not sure if I've got that spelling right. Codium is a fleshy, coral-shaped, dark green one.