Coral Vue Hydros

What test kits do you use?

Abzdot

Salifert is the best/fastest/cheapest good option in general.  API is far more available at retail and can be functional in most cases if that's all you can get.  Test strips are handy when speed of testing is more important than detail-accuracy.

Results for some liquid tests like nitrate and phosphate are hard to read.  There are workarounds to help you read them more accurately, but they aren't necessary for most folks that just have normal nitrate and phosphate levels.  

If you're trying to keep super-low nitrates and phosphates (which is thankfully falling slowly out of favor) then using a digital meter (or a workaround) will be much more necessary as the colors barely develop in those tests under that circumstance.  You end up having to decide whether your vial is (e.g.) "very light blue" or "very very light blue".

Color-blindness is another testing wrinkle....folks with that condition will want digital meters for Ca and Alk since both tests are based on detecting a red to blue color change in the test sample.  (Mg too, more or less...tho I don't think there's a digital Mg meter yet.)

• Like 2
On 4/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, Humblefish said:

Salifert works for most hobbyists' needs. Hanna Colorimeters are more accurate, but probably only really needed for phosphate testing.

I have both the Hanna Alk checker and Salifert alk test kit - the checker is significantly faster, easier to use, and more accurate. Unlike the phos checker, the alk reagent is a liquid and no shaking. About 30 seconds to do the entire test. So much better than titration.

• Like 1

It takes 10-20 seconds to de-lint/de-fingerprint the glassware...  😉

You still have to take a sample, fill the vial, dispense the reagent, <here's where cleaning the glassware eats up time>, load the Checker and run the test.  Six steps.

In Salifert, you tank a sample, fill the vial, dispense the reagent, fill the syringe, and run the test.  No glassware step at a all.  10-20 second bonus for no-glassware, and only five steps.

I know it seems a lot faster when I run the Salifert test.

We should organize testing races to see who can run 'em all the fastest.  Who'll be the Salifert champ and who'll be the Hanna champ?  With there be a dark horse contestant using the new Milwaukee meters???  Who's The Master Of ATI?  😉

• Like 2

Neptune Trident: Alk, Ca, Mg

Hannah checker: Alk, PO4 (I rarely test PO4), Ca (I don’t use It, prefer the Red Sea titration test) 

Red Sea: Ca, Nitrate 

ICP: ATI 

Hannah Drop Checker: PH, Conductivity

Apex Probes: PH, Conductivity, ORP, Temp 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 1:21 AM, mcarroll said:

It takes 10-20 seconds to de-lint/de-fingerprint the glassware...  😉

You still have to take a sample, fill the vial, dispense the reagent, <here's where cleaning the glassware eats up time>, load the Checker and run the test.  Six steps.

In Salifert, you tank a sample, fill the vial, dispense the reagent, fill the syringe, and run the test.  No glassware step at a all.  10-20 second bonus for no-glassware, and only five steps.

I know it seems a lot faster when I run the Salifert test.

We should organize testing races to see who can run 'em all the fastest.  Who'll be the Salifert champ and who'll be the Hanna champ?  With there be a dark horse contestant using the new Milwaukee meters???  Who's The Master Of ATI?  😉

Hah - special master technique is to never touch the glass by holding the vial with your shirt - I never clean during a test. Lint and tiny particulates (within reason) don't mess with the test by more than 2-3 ppm which is well within the margin of error.

You forgot a step - cleanup! I clean my glass for about 10 seconds under hot water, dry it, and put it back so I don't clean it while testing.

I'm a huge fan of the Salifert kits and use them for Ca and Mg, but I'm definitely faster with the Hanna and it's less tedious for me personally. Maybe because I only use them twice a year!

• Like 2