Pod Your Reef

First ever saltwater tank, couple start up questions.

EPMH59

I’m still in the process of buying equipment and everything so I’m a little ways away from actually setting up and getting fish added, but I wanted to have everything perfect before doing so.

This will be my first ever saltwater tank, and it will be a 32.5 gallon. I’m doing FOWLR. What is every item I will need? Including any meters I may need. My aquarium itself will be a Fluval Flex, so it has a built in filter and everything. So far I will be getting:

-Live rock

-Live sand 

-Salt

-Protein skimmer
-Possibly a powerhead, but the Flex has built in circulation. So this would only be if the default is not strong enough.

-Heater

What am I missing?

Also, two additional questions, how often am I looking at having to buy salt? Specifically, let’s say I buy a 50 pound tub of salt, and do 20% water changes weekly, how long will that 50 pounds last me roughly for a 32.5 gallon tank? 

Then, what is the process for RO/DI water? Would I specifically have to buy bottled water all the time or is there any way for me to convert tap water?

I suggest a cocktail shrimp to get the bacteria going and give them some food to get going. Bottled bacteria is eh, I dunno how worth it it is. look up fishless cycling. Get a powerhead as it's good for there to be more flow. I think most salts come in gallon denominations so it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Let the tank cycle completely before adding anything, get a clean up crew after the cycle is done. 

RODI is a system of filters you hook up to a faucet and it filters water very well, you can buy the distilled water from stores but an RODI is just useful in general to have. Most tap isn't super suitable. 

You're going to need a light for the fish, they do need a light. If I may it might be nice to experiment with some very tough corals as that's mostly this forums bread and butter and they need suitable lighting. 

Number 1 thing with saltwater is patience, take it slow and treat your animals well, let the tank cycle without fish. 

Good Luck! 

Oh I nearly forgot, 

get a simple saltwater test kit like this, it should be all you need for fish:image.thumb.png.70f4acaad8070d48d13a295e28845188.png

chunkylovah

I wouldnt worry about how much salt your going to be using. My thought is with a 32g your limited to fish and number of fish. So without coral, doing a 20% water change a week will likely not be necessary after the initial phases as long as your not over feeding. I have a 43 gallon with some finicky coral and i go through 50 lbs of salt maybe every 9-10 months. Adding to what @Lypto has already said you should add a refractometer and get a basic test kit. For a fowler starting out any test kit or combo with ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and phosphate are probably the important ones. Other things that are not necessary but id add is activated carbon for when your water is less then crystal clear. Also a means to clean your sand, as just about every beginner neglects sand maintenance (me included). Turkey baster is my cheap go to. You can blow your rocks clean so algae doesnt set in and blast your sand. You dont need a fancy light either. Id personally get something cheap that can keep basic no maintenance corals like zoas or gsp just to give your rocks a little personality. Good luck!

The fluval stock pumps are pretty weak so either your return pump will need upgrading or a powerhead in the tank.

You need adequate flow for oxygen and keeping detritus from settling.

For fowlr.

Heater, salt, powerhead, filter floss, activated carbon, refractometer, buckets, sand, liverock 

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kit. 

Phos tester(not api)

If you're not doing corals you don't need need alk, ca, or mag. 

For cycling with dry rock- there are many options, the cleanest is ammonia dosing and bacteria supplement like biospira. 

13 hours ago, EPMH59 said:

What am I missing?

Books.  

Many great options...none that I know of are bad options.  

I often recommend a used copy of Martin Moe's Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder as a great place to start.  

It's also available in eBook now....iBooks has it on your Apple device.

I wouldn't do anything else before getting this book (or similar) under your belt, so to speak.  It'll answer a lot of questions and create A BUNCH more.