Innovative Marine Aquariums

3g Pico Light Upgrade

Jon-Paul

Recently did a move and noticed that a higher light placement has resulted in my corals expanding way more. I think the light was too close to the surface and too intense for them. I also removed my AC70 fuge and chaeto and have noticed a gradual return in nitrates. Up from 0.2 to 2.0 with 0 feedings. I did dose some reef roids today and will test again tomorrow to see where they're at. Also, my dKH seems to dropping at a far slower rate (1 week after water change it was at about 8.2).

Anyways all of this got me thinking that I would like to swap the light on the pico because the light was originally clipped (very precariously) to the back of the AC70 fuge. Without the fuge I have nothing, other than installing a wooden blank on the back, to attach the A029 Aqua Knight to at the new ideal height.

In terms of a light I am pretty dead set on the AI Prime 16HD, and then mounting a diffuser from 3DReefing (click the hyperlink to see). But, I'm just curious to know what kind of setting I should or would run it at. Nothing too wild in my Pico, some acans, shrooms, palys, and a frogspawn, and planning to get more of the same. It's not that I feel I need the extra power, but it's that I think it's a good investment if I decide to upgrade the tank down the road.

Also, would there be any problem with mounting the AI Prime to the picotope 3 gallon? It is rimless and the glass is pretty thin.

Thanks! 

SaltyGallon

The AI prime HD is a great light - I've had/got one over a ten and seven gallon and it's always provided great coral growth - but I wonder if it'd be slight overkill on a three gallon. Maybe you could consider something like the Asta 20? It would be kinder on the wallet and more than enough wattage (but obviously the colour spectrum and control-ability are better on the prime).

How many mm is your tank glass? I've got my prime bracket comfortably set up on 6mm glass. I imagine 4mm would also be fine, but I'd take it easy when tightening up, just in case.

I used the Asta 20 on a 3.7 and upgraded to a five gallon with an AI prime. I tried the prime on the smaller tank and it didn’t work. Granted, I had the hard mount arm so too much of the mounting hardware stuck out. The asta 20 just worked for that tank a little better size wise. I would definitely measure before you get the light and find out it is too big. 

If you are dead set on the prime (don’t blame you, it’s a great light) I’m running a modified AB+ on my ai prime and seeing great results. It’s basically the eco tech one at about 50% power and a shortened lighting schedule. If you ever get the AI I can share the light schedule file with you.  I took PAR readings as well for my setup so I could share those as well. 

Have you thought about getting a larger tank at all? I moved to a five gallon, it still fit on the stand and I kept all the other hardware so for about $40 I ended up with a much better layout for coral placement. 

If you check the tank thread in my signature you’ll see the progression from a 3.7 to a 5 as well as the asta 20 and AI prime. 

@Azur Yea I don't doubt it would be overkill, but I want something with a broader spectrum than what I currently have with my A029 Aqua Knight. The control of the AI Prime is another huge feature for me. Currently my lights are stuck on a fixed setting and to change them every day isn't feasible. I checked out the Asta20 and it seems like a great little light, very similar to a Kessil, but I think the selling feature is the control, and potential for the a tank upgrade in size. I think my glass is around 3-4mm

@aclman88 I never thought there could be too much mounting arm but that is a good point that you raise. Could it be trimmed with a saw I wonder? Regardless that is a good idea to measure. I may even just mount the stand that the aquarium sits on. Also, that's amazing about the PAR and light schedule files, I will deff hit you up if i decide to buy it. And yes, I am thinking about upgrading the pico. I am noticing it is a bit cramped, but that is on the horizon and not right now. Again, the AI Prime would be able to cover up to a 10 gallon comfortably.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

I used an asta20 on a 2.5g. I didn't get much growth. The controlling of it is questionable too.

My leather has quadrupled under and Ai.

If you have the money and any chance of upgrading, the Ai is fantastic. I would start it off very low 35% and raise it slowly according to your corals.

I ran one reg ai prime on a 5g at no more than 60% with blues, v, uv. All else was really low. It was a nem tank.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

@aclman88 I did end up getting the AI Prime, and was wondering if you have a nice light setting schedule you could send me. I'm still playing around with the settings.

RedTheReefer
4 hours ago, Jon-Paul said:

@aclman88 I did end up getting the AI Prime, and was wondering if you have a nice light setting schedule you could send me. I'm still playing around with the settings.

I use the Pirates of the Caribbean settings from the AI Prime Facebook group. Its under the files section but you might have to scroll down a bit. There are a lot of settings to try there. Just make sure to lower the intensity!