SaltCritters.com

Possum Wrasse and Sexy Shrimp?

snakeybird

Hello everyone,  I have been out of the marine hobby for a decade, but am interested in setting up a nanoreef tank with sexy shrimp.  (I had a 10 gallon nano FOWLR for 9+years).  Are the possum wrasses and pink streaked wrasse generally safe with these little guys?  

My other main idea is to center the tank around a shrimp/goby pair (no sexy shrimp).  I am assuming, as the shrimp is much bigger, that it would be mostly safe from a possum wrasse.

I haven't kept marine shrimp before, but did adore my six line wrasse; I got lucky and had a model citizen.  Not counting on the roll of the dice to favor me that much again, and thus am considering possum wrasses.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, snakeybird said:

Hello everyone,  I have been out of the marine hobby for a decade, but am interested in setting up a nanoreef tank with sexy shrimp.  (I had a 10 gallon nano FOWLR for 9+years).  Are the pygmy wrasses and pink streaked wrasse generally safe with these little guys?  

My other main idea is to center the tank around a shrimp/goby pair (no sexy shrimp).  I am assuming, as the shrimp is much bigger, that it would be mostly safe from a pygmy wrasse.

I haven't kept marine shrimp before, but did adore my six line wrasse; I got lucky and had a model citizen.  Not counting on the roll of the dice to favor me that much again, and thus am considering pygmy wrasses.

I have a possum wrasse in with a pack of sexy shrimp and he doesn’t bother them at all. 

I've never had a problem with the Tanaka's and sexy shrimp. Possum wrasses, in my limited experience are pretty shy. I have kept one with only a blenny, and while he does come out and hovers around, he is still very timid. But if kept alone or with out any other mo' aggressive fish, they are great. Overall, they are a lovely fish... two thumbs up. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I've never had a problem with the Tanaka's and sexy shrimp. Possum wrasses, in my limited experience are pretty shy. I have kept one with only a blenny, and while he does come out and hovers around, he is still very timid. But if kept alone or with out any other mo' aggressive fish, they are great. Overall, they are a lovely fish... two thumbs up. 

I can tell by your avatar that you are a fan.  If I set up a 10 gallon for sexy shrimp, the little wrasse would be the only fish.  

45 minutes ago, snakeybird said:

I can tell by your avatar that you are a fan.  If I set up a 10 gallon for sexy shrimp, the little wrasse would be the only fish.  

I have found the fire shrimp way more exciting and engaging than sexy shrimp... and if you're feeling like you want more excitement... there is always the pom pom crab...

just some invert inspiration... inverpiration... nope doesn't work. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I have found the fire shrimp way more exciting and engaging than sexy shrimp... and if you're feeling like you want more excitement... there is always the pom pom crab...

just some invert inspiration... inverpiration... nope doesn't work. 

I was under the impression that fireshrimp were primarily nocturnal, and I wouldn't see one out much when tank lights were on.  Is this inaccurate? 

Just now, snakeybird said:

I was under the impression that fireshrimp were primarily nocturnal, and I wouldn't see one out much when tank lights were on.  Is this inaccurate? 

Mine likes to hang around his cave... but he is visible and active... if he thinks you're going to feed him he will follow you around the tank...

If you set up the live rock right he will allow be visible... I'm honestly bummed it too me this long to get one. Maybe I got lucky, but my fire shrimp is like the puppy of inverts. 

42 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Maybe I got lucky, but my fire shrimp is like the puppy of inverts. 

Thanks for the feedback.  What is a nice size tank for a fire shrimp?  I have an empty standard 10 gallon and empty 30 gallon (36"×12" footprint).  Planning to set one of them up for soft corals and some mobile invertebrates, and a fish or 2.  

Maybe I ought to start a new thread suggesting which shrimp a first time prospective marine shrimp keeper should consider, but that might start a mega fight.

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Very shy in the beginning but out all the time now. 

Thanks for the information.   My six line was out all the time.  I still feel bad that the fish jumped out one day when I forgot to replace the tank cover post maintenance. 

I have had two different possum wrasses although both were the same Tanaka possums. I also had/have a verity of different shrimps. A Randalls pistol, two different fire/blood shrimps and a skunk cleaner. My first possum (he was full grown) never learned to stay away from the pistol tunnel entrances and would often get shot at for his efforts. He would also go after snails and my emerald crabs. He left my full grown fire shrimp alone (she was a little over 3 inches long), she was agressive and double his size too. My new possum wrasse will let my baby fire and baby skunk cleaner shrimps clean her but thats it, haven't seen her go after any inverts. My guess would be 50/50 with sexy shrimps since they are so small. You might do well with a small/baby possum wrasse from my experience they might be less likely to go after inverts.