ReefCleaners.org

The Raena Reef - IM Nuvo Fusion 40

monkeytrumpets

monkeytrumpets
16 hours ago, mfield16 said:

Is that a clown goby?

It is!  I've been trying to track one down for a while, and one of the LFS in town got some in last week.  She has a few places she likes to hang out, but when she gets startled, she always makes for the frogspawn. 

How do you like the IceCap? I just set my IM40 up 2 days ago and don't love the flow from my Nero 5 yet. 

I like it a lot! 

• Pros
    • It can be positioned close to the surface without pulling air.
    • I don't think it's as visibly noticeable as other powerheads I've had in the tank to this point.
    • It does a good job moving water to most places in the tank, without a sandstorm, or irritating my LPS.
    • The app lets me set up complicated schedules that I don't need, but had fun configuring.
    • It texts me when it disconnects from Wi-Fi, which alerted me to a power outage at the house.  We were out of town at the time, and I wouldn't have been home for several days.  We were lucky, and the power came back on within 10 minutes, but I would have been able to get someone over to the house to check on things if it hadn't.
    • IceCap makes a battery backup for it (this is the next item on my equipment wish list).
  • Cons
    • I feel like I need to clean it more often than other powerheads.  The flow seems to drop off more sharply, and quicker, between cleanings.
    • It's harder to hit specific spots in the tank.  I've got one spot that because of the aquascape, is just hard to hit with the IceCap or the return nozzles.  I'm tempted to hide something like a Nanostream behind the rock to take care of that.
    • It took me a while to figure out the app.  Once I figured out what presets/triggers/modes each did, I was able to set up a schedule that I liked, but I'll admit it took me a couple of hours of fiddling to get it where I want it.