Coral Vue Hydros

what type wave maker pump would I need

pippol1

I'm new to reefing ,I have a 32 gal. BioCube tank. I only have 2 clown fish eventually I'd like soft and LP corals .

I wanted to know what type of wavermaker pump would I need? also would I need two pumps or can I use one gyre pump?

It depends what you are looking for out of a wavemaker/powerhead and budget.

You can get simple koralia's that run constantly or ones that are completely controllable.

Lps and soft corals like moderate flow.

Each tank is different, its needs are different. Some ppl run 2, some run 1, some run none and upgrade the return pump and use rotators on the returns like rfg nozzles.

• 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef
43 minutes ago, pippol1 said:

Thank you, what size gyre would you recommend?

Per your original post, I don’t think you’d need a gyre in this tank - simply too much flow and the profile is a bit large for a biocube. Something small and controllable like aqamai KPS would be good in this tank. 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Per your original post, I don’t think you’d need a gyre in this tank - simply too much flow and the profile is a bit large for a biocube. Something small and controllable like aqamai KPS would be good in this tank. 

I know controllable powerheads are pretty much ubiquitous now, and I think the KPS would be perfect for OP, but if OP wanted to save some money, he doesn't even really need a controllable powerhead. Something like a couple of Koralia 425s would be just fine.

My tank had a 425 and 240 on it for years before I got an MP10 and my friends BC32 is still using those same two powerheads for softies and LPS. Together, those two are about 1/2 the price of a KPS and can probably be found used locally for about $20 together.

Just an option! But definitely a good way to save money.

• Like 2

I have a BC29 with LPS and softies and have used Koralia pumps and the hydor wave maker.  Hydor wavemaker was not a good investment.  I recently switched to an jebao OW10, and absolutely love it.  <$60.  I'm using it on the lowest setting and intend on putting a second one in.  The true random flow of those units is noticeably better in the tank, and the cost is great.  I know most prefer the MP10's, but the cost was way too high for me.  The OW10 has been a great fit.  

• Like 1