Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do I feed live food in a display tank?

Hannahhhh

I am receiving a red rooster wasp fish tomorrow. I asked live aquaria what he has been eating and they said Live ghost shrimp and sinking pellets. If I put him into my 30 gallon display tank, how on earth do I feed him live shrimp?? Won’t they just swim off before he even sees them? Should I injure them so that he has a better chance of finding them? Or do I just put a few in the tank and hope he finds them? I could potentially put him in my 13 gallon tank that is cycled but empty of livestock, but I’d very much prefer to put him in the main tank. 

I think the shrimp would stay alive long enough for the fish to eat. It would take patience and would depend on the overall health of the fish. No expert here but I think wasp fish gulp there food down and try to blend in with there surroundings. If your 13 gallon is ready it would be a good idea to quarantine it till it is eating and well adjusted. It would definately be a bonus if it ate pellets.

So after double checking levels in the smaller tank, I realized it was not ready for a fish. I went ahead and put him in my main tank as I had originally planned. I would love any advice on feeding him.   

When we feed our eels chunks of frozen shrimp (after thawing) we use a long-arm aquarium pincher (not sure on the real name, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kicode-Pinchers-Plastic-Aquarium-Cleaning/dp/B07C8GG5KV). Maybe using something like this to grab the shrimp and feed it directly or at least put the shrimp right in front of it?

I'm no expert and I'm just throwing out my thoughts, so take it as a grain of salt.

It also wouldn't hurt to respond to the Live Aquaria rep and ask the best way to feed it.

• Like 2
On 4/1/2020 at 11:17 AM, Hannahhhh said:

So after double checking levels in the smaller tank, I realized it was not ready for a fish. I went ahead and put him in my main tank as I had originally planned. I would love any advice on feeding him.   

I am wondering how the feeding is going ? 

Does the wasp fish look interested?

48 minutes ago, jambon said:

I’m pretty sure he ate some of the pellets I soaked in garlic and scattered near him. It took me a few days to find his hiding spot. I haven’t tried another ghost shrimp since the first one just took off and he showed no interest. 

On 4/1/2020 at 11:17 AM, Hannahhhh said:

How big or small is this fish?A picture would be nice... if it takes pellets that's probably more nutrition than ghost shrimp...