Top Shelf Aquatics

All in one filtration

Jacob2692

I have a 24 gallon AquaTop all in one aquarium. I’m just curious what other reefers with all in one tanks are using for filtration. I’ve been using filter fiber instead of the sponge that came with the tank, chemi pure & clear fx pro and the ceramic rings that came with the tank

E67E80E6-3CC2-4EBF-B737-6F74173BD966.jpeg

This is as hotly debated and discussed a topic as any in reefing. I'd say it's more important to be consistent and to stick with an approach than to constantly tinker with it. 

That said, I don't usually recommend the use of bio balls or ceramic media. Your live rock has plenty of biological filtration surface area. I also like to run carbon for the clearing effect it has on water.

But again, this is all a matter of personal preference. 

• Like 1

I would pull the ceramic rings.  Your rock and sand should provide enough surface area for biological filtration.

Good call on the filter floss, that's what I use in my nano.  Also use carbon occasionally.

I use a small bag of carbon I fill myself so I control the amount. Seachem carbon-. Changed every 2-3 weeks.

I use it to reduce toxins from corals, prevents chemical warfare.

Filter floss changed twice a week

That's it

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

Same as above really.

In my nano/pico I've got a pair of egg crate media racks where I run filter floss, a bag of carbon/GFO and have a small bag of Seachem Matrix for extra biofiltration.

Floss changed weekly, carbon/GFO monthly, and the Matrix gets a shaking out in a bucket every few months to get rid of any detritus.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:58 PM, Jacob2692 said:

I’ve been using filter fiber instead of the sponge that came with the tank, chemi pure & clear fx pro and the ceramic rings that came with the tank

Less is more if you ask me.  Can you run a protein skimmer if you wanted to?

The tank should be dictating what filter media needs to be in there, which may be nothing at all if the tank is having no problems.

What's the problem?  Answer that and you'll know which (if any) media you actually need.

No problems?  No needs.