Cultivated Reef

Hypes Mini Reef Redux-Fissiparous reproduction

Rehype

35 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Good call on ditching that bucket im doing the same now lol. Yeah everything in your tank looks great. Are you dosing or just doing water changes?

I dose 1ml of alk per day currently, which I know is strange considering I use a high-alk salt mix, but my tank seems to go through it stupidly fast. I’m trying to keep alk stable at 9, but doing weekly water changes wasn’t really doing a good job, and I didn’t want to keep wasting salt and water just to keep alk stable. 

• Like 1

So I finished the cleanup in the effort to get rid of this bacteria.  Performed the following steps

1. Siphoned all visible traces of the bacteria from the sump and display 
  2. Deep cleaning of all pipes (There was ridiculous amount of slime bacteria/detritus backed up.) I used a spring washer to get do this done. Every reefer should have one of these click the pic to see mine in action   51304840981_88d4ccc48b_n.jpeg.5a7971957c6c582b9f0c6865caacca31.jpeg
  3. 100% water change with tropic marin pro
  4. Added 1ML of Chemiclean (removed carbon and phosphate) Left it in the system for 48 hours as instructed. I kept the the lights off in the display and refugium during for 72 hours in conjunction with this method. In my past experience doing these together really helped eliminate cyano so Im hoping it will have a similar effect on this bacteria. I also added Dr. Tim waste away gel just to start seeding some bacteria
  5. Performed a 20% water change turned off the skimmer and then dosed 5ml of Dr. Waste away and added spacer.png
  6. Waited another 24 hours and then added chemi pure blue nano 

Ive been monitoring the last 4 days to see if any of the bacteria has popped up but so far havent seen any. I'll keep monitoring closely and keep you guys updated.

• Like 3

Chemiclean is pretty great stuff. I used half the recommended dose on my tank and within 24hrs all cyano was gone. Hasn’t returned since, which was a couple months ago. I gotta get one of those spring washer things, I could use it to clean my return without having the remove the whole thing from the return chamber. 

4 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Chemiclean is pretty great stuff. I used half the recommended dose on my tank and within 24hrs all cyano was gone. Hasn’t returned since, which was a couple months ago. I gotta get one of those spring washer things, I could use it to clean my return without having the remove the whole thing from the return chamber. 

Totally agree...Ive had nothing but good results when using it. Ive used it on two other tanks that were fully stocked  it got got rid of the cyano with no harmful effects to any of my livestock. Im hoping it has the same long term effect on this white slime bacteria.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:10 PM, Zer0 said:

I dose 1ml of alk per day currently, which I know is strange considering I use a high-alk salt mix, but my tank seems to go through it stupidly fast. I’m trying to keep alk stable at 9, but doing weekly water changes wasn’t really doing a good job, and I didn’t want to keep wasting salt and water just to keep alk stable. 

Makes sense. Im going to go with a doser on this tank.. with such low volume I would have perform partial water changes on a daily basis once I start adding more SPS. I also plan to continue dosing Reef energy.  Zero I took inspiration from your tank I picked up the JBJ RL-15 to replace my busted Elos mini stand and the AI Prime 16 to replace my led t5 combo (bunch of the LEDs stopped working) and the Nero 3 to replace the Aqamai. (Nothing wrong with this pump just prefer the controllability of the my ai app) Also picked up the 3D diffuser for the AI prime it makes a huge difference with blending the light. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

👌

I like the RL-10 stand, it’s been holding up very well so far. Some of the panels are slightly misaligned, but you would need to be inspecting it up close to notice. Hopefully your stand won’t have that problem though! 

The Prime and the Nero both have a lot of customization, and the AI app is pretty good, I think you’re going to like them. 

• Like 2

That new light is so awesome!  Didn't know about the diffuser.  I'll have to look into that when I eventually get my new AI Prime :).  Which mount for the light will you be using?

On 7/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, Zer0 said:

👌

I like the RL-10 stand, it’s been holding up very well so far. Some of the panels are slightly misaligned, but you would need to be inspecting it up close to notice. Hopefully your stand won’t have that problem though! 

The Prime and the Nero both have a lot of customization, and the AI app is pretty good, I think you’re going to like them. 

Thanks man so far the stand has been perfect. So far im loving the prime customization Ill probably get to setting up the nero later this week.

11 hours ago, gena said:

That new light is so awesome!  Didn't know about the diffuser.  I'll have to look into that when I eventually get my new AI Prime :).  Which mount for the light will you be using?

Thanks Gena!! Me either! I just stumbled across a tank build with one. You should definitely get one...It makes a huge difference in getting rid of the disco ball effect and the spread is much more even. Im still a huge T5/LED fan but this is a good compromise on such a small tank.  I went with the hanging kit as the tank mounts are too big and heavy to mount directly to this tank.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Rehype said:

Thanks Gena!! Me either! I just stumbled across a tank build with one. You should definitely get one...It makes a huge difference in getting rid of the disco ball effect and the spread is much more even. Im still a huge T5/LED fan but this is a good compromise on such a small tank.  I went with the hanging kit as the tank mounts are too big and heavy to mount directly to this tank.

Where did you find the diffuser?  I was on BRS and didn't see it pop up.  I'll do more searching too :).  I have to figure out how I'll hang mine.  I'll probably go with the arm mount but hanging might look nice too!  Looking forward to seeing yours put together for more ideas!!!!

10 hours ago, gena said:

Where did you find the diffuser?  I was on BRS and didn't see it pop up.  I'll do more searching too :).  I have to figure out how I'll hang mine.  I'll probably go with the arm mount but hanging might look nice too!  Looking forward to seeing yours put together for more ideas!!!!

Hey Gina you can order it directly from their site. 

Heres a pic of mine hanging

spacer.png

• Like 4

Awesome!!!  Thanks for the link.  The video on their site really shows the difference with and without.  Definitely has a softer look with it.  Is your light suspended from the ceiling?  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, gena said:

Awesome!!!  Thanks for the link.  The video on their site really shows the difference with and without.  Definitely has a softer look with it.  Is your light suspended from the ceiling?  

No worries. Yeah I definitely prefer the look with it on...Im sensitive to disco ball shimmer lol

Yes it is

spacer.png

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Rehype said:

No worries. Yeah I definitely prefer the look with it on...Im sensitive to disco ball shimmer lol

Yes it is

spacer.png

Nice!  Yeah, I really noticed it with my last tank.  It didn't really bother me that much, but it was definitely noticeable.  I'd for sure try out this diffuser.  From what I've seen of their video, it looks to make a nice difference.

Seeing updates on a Rehype thread is nano-reef nostalgia for me… always among the… err, let’s be honest… always the best, most meticulously crafted tanks, when you tend to them! 

excited to see this progress finally! 

• Like 3
On 7/15/2021 at 9:23 AM, gena said:

Nice!  Yeah, I really noticed it with my last tank.  It didn't really bother me that much, but it was definitely noticeable.  I'd for sure try out this diffuser.  From what I've seen of their video, it looks to make a nice difference.

Thanks Gena! You wont be disappointed.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:43 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Looks like you are whipping that little bad boy back into shape! 👍

Im doing my best nano! You keep me inspired.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:23 PM, shaner014 said:

Seeing updates on a Rehype thread is nano-reef nostalgia for me… always among the… err, let’s be honest… always the best, most meticulously crafted tanks, when you tend to them! 

excited to see this progress finally! 

Thanks alot Shaner your way too kind. Im really hoping I can turn this one around. 

Quick update on the tank so far still seeing some of the Alcaligenes faecalis not as much as before but still too much... so decided to check my phosphates and realized they were through the roof (0.50!) and I forgot about the build up of VOC's in my sandbed. So decided to do another water change but this time invested in some new equipment...

spacer.png

I havent bought a proper siphon in well over a decade lol. Decided to go with the Hygger I had to cut the outlet tube in half to make it work for me but the level of control I have using the trigger is second to none IME  I can siphon very specific sections without pulling out too much water.The sand in the display had never been siphoned so it was pulling out black water in certain sections 🤢 After doing a large water change I added a bag full of Rowaphos and 10ml of Dr. Tims Waste away. So ill keep a close eye on it over the next few days and get the phosphates down to 0.03

• Like 5

Well shoot....that siphon is awesome!!!  I don't remember seeing those before.   I could really use that kind of control on a small tank!!!  Gonna have to look into that for sure.

• Like 1
On 7/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, gena said:

Well shoot....that siphon is awesome!!!  I don't remember seeing those before.   I could really use that kind of control on a small tank!!!  Gonna have to look into that for sure.

Thanks gena. I hadnt seen this design before either...definitely a helpful innovation! 

Quick update...phosphates are finally where I want them to be. Im now seeing much less of the bacteria.  Really happy about that at this point so ill just keep things as is for now and hold off on another water change. In the meantime I picked up some more reef tech. 

spacer.png

In the meantime I picked up some more reef tech.  First the Hanna salinity tester. I've read mixed reviews on this one (some reporting it being inaccurate even after calibration) but just decided to give it a try and share my experience. I have  a traditional handheld refractometer thats been working great for years but wanted something a quicker especially for water changes. I calibrated the handheld refractometer just to be sure and ordered the Hanna. I received it yesterday ,calibrated it this morning and just gave it a try... so far its reading identical to my handheld (pleasant surprise). But ill keep you guys posted as I'll be testing it weekly to see if it remains accurate.

spacer.png

Next realized my skimmer was barely producing skimmate even though the air pump was on full blast.  So figured it was time to replace this pump as well. (It was the original coralife luft pump which is really old) Found the super cool SHARK AIR PUMP! Really cool design and its super quiet as well as powerful. It's producing alot more bubbles now and I can fine tune it to the type of skimmate I prefer. I prefer drier skimmate but I think it would be best to run it wet for now to get help get rid of excess bacteria. 

spacer.png  spacer.png

Also picked up a Reef Dose 4 and Simplicity Dosing container. My LFS had these in stock last month so I picked one up because I figured they were going to be hard to find in the near future. Plan to add SPS shortly and want to automate their upkeep. Looking forward to setting this up. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

I love the Hanna Salinity tester - it's always accurate when compared to my refractometer. I think I've only calibrated it once or twice and I've had it since they came out.

Glad to see you're getting the tank back in order and I'm loving all the new gear. 🤩

39 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

I love the Hanna Salinity tester - it's always accurate when compared to my refractometer. I think I've only calibrated it once or twice and I've had it since they came out.

Glad to see you're getting the tank back in order and I'm loving all the new gear. 🤩

Hey sup Justin! Thanks for checking in. Glad to hear you have had a solid experience with it. I was worried a bit because of some of the negative feedback.

Thanks man got a few more pieces to add. Definitely overkill for a tank this size but I wanted to do this one justice

You planning another build soon?

2 hours ago, Rehype said:

Hey sup Justin! Thanks for checking in. Glad to hear you have had a solid experience with it. I was worried a bit because of some of the negative feedback.

Thanks man got a few more pieces to add. Definitely overkill for a tank this size but I wanted to do this one justice

You planning another build soon?

I hear that! I like this little setup and I'm all for automation so keep it up! 

I still have my cube going but it could look better. It hasn't been getting a ton of attention lately with work and all that. I do have everything purchased for my next build using a 22G long - just gotta find the time 😅 

I also have the digital hanna tester, I calibrated mine against a high precision tropic marin hydrometer and it was only off by half a ppm. I would say, if you use it often, then calibrating it once every two weeks is a good idea. If you use it less, then calibrating it once a month is sufficient. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of tech, just makes things much quicker and easier for water changes.

20 hours ago, Justind823 said:

I hear that! I like this little setup and I'm all for automation so keep it up! 

I still have my cube going but it could look better. It hasn't been getting a ton of attention lately with work and all that. I do have everything purchased for my next build using a 22G long - just gotta find the time 😅 

Thanks alot man will do.

I hear you man its tough keeping up with these tanks when life gets in the way 😂 Cant wait to see what you do with that 22 gallon!

7 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

I also have the digital hanna tester, I calibrated mine against a high precision tropic marin hydrometer and it was only off by half a ppm. I would say, if you use it often, then calibrating it once every two weeks is a good idea. If you use it less, then calibrating it once a month is sufficient. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of tech, just makes things much quicker and easier for water changes.

Thanks for the feedback Zero I was hoping to hear you guys had favorable results. The last automated salinity tester I had was the Milwaukee Digital Refractometer which was super accurate but the Hanna is so much more versatile. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Thanks for the feedback Zero I was hoping to hear you guys had favorable results. The last automated salinity tester I had was the Milwaukee Digital Refractometer which was super accurate but the Hanna is so much more versatile. 

Yeap, being able to just stick it in any bucket or tank or whatever and get accurate results fast is really nice.