Top Shelf Aquatics

Hypes Mini Reef Redux-Fissiparous reproduction

Rehype

10 minutes ago, teamschreiba said:

Looks great! My scape is eerily similar but just reversed. I’m dying to be able to add even hermit crabs so I’m pretty jealous of your inverts. 

Thanks TS! Thats awesome your my reef twin 😁  Where your tank thread? You gotta do one for old times sake 

• Like 2
Nano sapiens
21 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Thanks TS! Thats awesome your my reef twin 😁  Where your tank thread? You gotta do one for old times sake 

This is starting to feel like a mini GTG of old time reefers 'returning to the fold' :grouphug:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

This is starting to feel like a mini GTG of old time reefers 'returning to the fold' :grouphug:

:grouphug:

Totally agree . Feels good 

Gramophone

Looks like I came back at the right time. Glad to see that you're back in action, Hype! Very much looking forward to this :smilie:

• Like 1
teamschreiba
2 hours ago, Rehype said:

I have one! Need to add it to my signature I guess. It’s an ADA 60P. 

1 hour ago, Rehype said:

:grouphug:

Totally agree . Feels good 

I agree! 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Gramophone said:

Looks like I came back at the right time. Glad to see that you're back in action, Hype! Very much looking forward to this :smilie:

Hey Gram!!!!!!! This  just keeps getting better and better.  So glad to see your back. Hows everything? And what tank have you cooked up? 😃

Gramophone
3 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Hey Gram!!!!!!! This  just keeps getting better and better.  So glad to see your back. Hows everything? And what tank have you cooked up? 😃

I know, right?!?! Everything is great, how about you? There's a link to the new tank on the "new tank" picture in my signature. Just got back on here today.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gramophone said:

I know, right?!?! Everything is great, how about you? There's a link to the new tank on the "new tank" picture in my signature. Just got back on here today.

Im good definitely cant complain. Very Happy to see my reef fam is still around and doing well.  Im going to go check out your new tank now 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Paleoreef103
On 5/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, Rehype said:

I know man!How you been?

Looks great so far Hype! I love your minimalist scape!  I'm definitely going to be following along!

Been doing well. Moved around the country a few times, but I've got a Fusion 20 that's kicking along that I partially set up for my own little one. I've been struggling with keeping nutrients up because all I have is a single small clownfish in the tank and with the pandemic I haven't been able to pick up another fish or two. Plus I very much live in a reef desert where getting fish shipped to me is out of the question. It is, what it is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 12:37 PM, Paleoreef103 said:

Looks great so far Hype! I love your minimalist scape!  I'm definitely going to be following along!

Been doing well. Moved around the country a few times, but I've got a Fusion 20 that's kicking along that I partially set up for my own little one. I've been struggling with keeping nutrients up because all I have is a single small clownfish in the tank and with the pandemic I haven't been able to pick up another fish or two. Plus I very much live in a reef desert where getting fish shipped to me is out of the question. It is, what it is.

Thanks alot bud I appreciate it. Great to have you back 

Thats good to hear. Did you start a thread for the 20? l'd like to see how its coming along.  Reef pickins are slim locally and the prices have gone up substantially 

I did pick up a pom pom and sexy shrimp

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, Gramophone said:

Hey there, Hype! How's the tank doing? I vote for an update :flower:

On 2/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, Zer0 said:

Any updates? 🙂

On 6/14/2021 at 5:29 PM, mipster said:

It's been a long time, it must be different now!

Hey Guys!!!! 

Sorry its been too long I apologize for the lack of updates..I cant believe its already been a year 😮  I hope you and your families are all doing well.  I have to be honest I completely neglected this little tank after the first few months 😞  I got in the habit of just feeding it daily to take care of a small tigertail seahorse I added but after some time I gave the seahorse away and the left the tank on autopilot for almost 8 months. As you can imagine algae was out of control and you couldnt even see through the glass but over the last few weeks I decided enough was enough and after getting inspiration from a bunch of you guys I decided to try to bring this tank back to life. I didnt really have much of a vision for this tank but now I think my goal is to add corals that I like that fluoresce and keep a much more blue tank.(Something I've never done before) First thing first was to clean out all the algae and detritus.....I didnt think such a small tank could hold so much waste 🤢 🤢🤢I added some more flow  to the fuge area because detritus was just settling on the sandbed. I also had to clean out all the tubing and pumps because everything was clogged pretty bad. Next I had to work on replacing hardware. The stand was in really bad shape as I used it from a previous build and the LEDS in my custom fixture started to fail.

Some pics just to show how bad it was (it actually got alotworse than this before the clean up)

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few days after the cleanup I noticed I started to get white slime bacteria in the fuge/display and it looks the culprit was my RO/DI unit 😡 its my fault because even though my TDS readings were still reading 0 the bacteria was actually building up on the sediment filter and then being transferred into my Topoff tank. Now I know I need to check on them more frequently. So next task is to fight off this bacteria..Im going to dose some chemiclean and see how it goes and add some more new bacteria to compete.

I finished most of the clean up and did a bit of a rescape. I have to finish cleaning that backwall lol... 

spacer.png

• Like 4
On 7/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, Zer0 said:

Totally loving the updated scape! And wow what a cleanup, it’s like night and day! So happy to see you back 🙂

Thanks alot man I appreciate it. Heres some other shots with blues on

spacer.png

spacer.png

But heres the slime bacteria im currently battling.. definitely looks like snot 🤢 Has anyone had to deal with this in the past?

spacer.png

• Like 1

Well hello stranger!!! I'm excited to see we are in about the same stage of reefing right now!!!!  I just picked up a used system after being tankless for 3 years.  You know I'll be following your progress ☺️

• Like 2

Hey! you're back! 

I had similar bacteria like that, it seemed to happen long-term when my tank was low on low-concentration elements, particularly boron/bromine and iodine - may be that your algae had consumed most of it and meant a less-effective strain of bacteria was able to flourish, probably something a large wc can fix

3 hours ago, gena said:

Well hello stranger!!! I'm excited to see we are in about the same stage of reefing right now!!!!  I just picked up a used system after being tankless for 3 years.  You know I'll be following your progress ☺️

Gena!!!! 😮😮How the heck have you been? I didn't know you were back!I cant see what you have planned I know it will be awesome and Im going to jump in your build thread now 😁

2 hours ago, East1 said:

Hey! you're back! 

I had similar bacteria like that, it seemed to happen long-term when my tank was low on low-concentration elements, particularly boron/bromine and iodine - may be that your algae had consumed most of it and meant a less-effective strain of bacteria was able to flourish, probably something a large wc can fix

Hey East! I plan to see this one all the way through this time unless this bacteria kicks my butt. Thanks for chiming in. I just did a 100% water change. I finally decided to switch salts after 10 years. Oceanic was always good to me but its been harder to find it and not to mention the Alk is much higher and no longer consistent. I had a batch that was 9DKH at the top and 12 towards the bottom 😡 I like to keep my Alk closer to 7 and all the threads ive read it seems like tropic marin pro is the way to go.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Lol I still had my blue bucket of Oceanic when I started up my current tank a few months back. I think Oceanic got bought by Red Sea and they discontinued the 300g buckets. I noticed some strange things in my parameters and since that bucket was like 13 years old, I ditched it. Using IO reef crystals now and it’s been great so far, but alk is high, it mixes around 10-11dKh @ 1.026sg. I have no complaints though, everything looks great and the salt isn’t expensive. 

3 hours ago, Rehype said:

Gena!!!! 😮😮How the heck have you been? I didn't know you were back!I cant see what you have planned I know it will be awesome and Im going to jump in your build thread now 😁

Hey East! I plan to see this one all the way through this time unless this bacteria kicks my butt. Thanks for chiming in. I just did a 100% water change. I finally decided to switch salts after 10 years. Oceanic was always good to me but its been harder to find it and not to mention the Alk is much higher and no longer consistent. I had a batch that was 9DKH at the top and 12 towards the bottom 😡 I like to keep my Alk closer to 7 and all the threads ive read it seems like tropic marin pro is the way to go.

Nice! I reall ylike TM Pro Reef, I've pretty much used it exclusively for a couple years now! 

Keep us posted on the bacteria, I'm eager to see how it progresses

20 hours ago, Rehype said:

I have been great, thanks!!!!  Moved three times in the last three years LOL.  Left California for the east coast.  Left the east coast for the great plains!  Loving it here in Colorado :).  The weather here is incredible.  Sure we get cold and snow, but it melts so fast.  The sun warms things up very quickly here.  We have weather!!!  I love weather, something sorely lacking in southern California.

Really excited to be back to reefing again.  Just needed to get settled in before I could set up another tank 😊.

• Like 1
On 7/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, Zer0 said:

Lol I still had my blue bucket of Oceanic when I started up my current tank a few months back. I think Oceanic got bought by Red Sea and they discontinued the 300g buckets. I noticed some strange things in my parameters and since that bucket was like 13 years old, I ditched it. Using IO reef crystals now and it’s been great so far, but alk is high, it mixes around 10-11dKh @ 1.026sg. I have no complaints though, everything looks great and the salt isn’t expensive. 

Good call on ditching that bucket im doing the same now lol. Yeah everything in your tank looks great. Are you dosing or just doing water changes?

On 7/5/2021 at 6:19 PM, East1 said:

Nice! I reall ylike TM Pro Reef, I've pretty much used it exclusively for a couple years now! 

Keep us posted on the bacteria, I'm eager to see how it progresses

Oh thats good to hear! Im super late to the party. 

Will do Ill have an update tomorrow with how everything stands. 

8 hours ago, gena said:

I have been great, thanks!!!!  Moved three times in the last three years LOL.  Left California for the east coast.  Left the east coast for the great plains!  Loving it here in Colorado :).  The weather here is incredible.  Sure we get cold and snow, but it melts so fast.  The sun warms things up very quickly here.  We have weather!!!  I love weather, something sorely lacking in southern California.

Really excited to be back to reefing again.  Just needed to get settled in before I could set up another tank 😊.

Wow thats fantastic...so happy to hear you doing well and enjoying the weather

Well i'll be following closely and keeping up with your progress

• Like 2