Cultivated Reef

Hypes Mini Reef Redux-Fissiparous reproduction

Rehype

14 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Hi Eugene!  Great to see you back in the swing of things, especially for the kids' enjoyment.

Looks like a fun project...following along!  ☺️

Hey Nano! Thanks for checking in. Hows everything?

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

well, while I can't claim to be among the ol'schoolers in here.  The names showing up on this thread make me excited to see that people that I used to look at their tanks for inspirations when I first joined NR are still hanging in here.  

look forward to seeing this tank progress - epic equipment design already. 

Thanks alot Mitten.  No need to be an old timer All are welcome here 😃 Im personally just glad to see so many of you guys old and new are still reefing!

• Like 4

You get what you pay for when it comes to craftsmanship. So I can't fault you there. Its definitely going to be an amazing set up for sure. 

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
On 4/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, Rehype said:

Hey Nano! Thanks for checking in. Hows everything?

You know, 'Reefing one polyp at a time' and trying to stay out of trouble 😉

On 4/7/2020 at 9:22 AM, Reefkid88 said:

You get what you pay for when it comes to craftsmanship. So I can't fault you there. Its definitely going to be an amazing set up for sure. 

Thanks alot reefkid. Ill do my best

On 4/7/2020 at 11:23 PM, Nano sapiens said:

You know, 'Reefing one polyp at a time' and trying to stay out of trouble 😉

Well I think you've got that mastered my friend 😁

• Like 2

Just to give an update the plan for this tank was to use established sand and live rock. Since this tank is so small it will really benefit from the extra stability. Believe it or not I accidentally left some sand from my last build along with a bit of water in my basement.  so I tested it first to make sure there werent excessive nutrients then rinsed it clean with some fresh saltwater. Really happy to have those 4 year old established bacterial colonies. Next up was live rock....I really didnt want any man made rock this time around but finding real reef rock is tough these days. Fortunately Ive got a great relationship with my LFS and he sold me a couple of small pieces from one of his display tanks. These rocks are probably closer to 6 years old so really happy about that. Hitchhikers so far are one emerald crab (moved to the sump), 2 brittleworms and a handful of asterina stars.  There was no cycle to speak of but I still let the tank run for a few weeks just to build up some bacterial colonies in the water and on the surfaces inside the tank. I think ill try some test coral next week.

Next up was the additional hardware:

• 50 Watt Heater
  • Aqamai Pump 
  • IM ATO Reservoir
  • JBJ Nano ATO
  • Dymax  IQ skimmer 
  • Hanna Phosphate Checker
  • Kasa Smart Wifi Power Switch

spacer.png     spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 5
MasterMind9

Come on man! This tiny one with the sump and refu ! You are one step further again. 

If I saw this one before I set up mine, I'm definitely clone this module haha.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
19 hours ago, Rehype said:

Next up was the additional hardware:

• 50 Watt Heater
  • Aqamai Pump 
  • IM ATO Reservoir
  • JBJ Nano ATO
  • Dymax  IQ skimmer 
  • Hanna Phosphate Checker
  • Kasa Smart Wifi Power Switch

I think this build should be titled 'Going BIG with the small stuff' :wink:

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, MasterMind9 said:

Come on man! This tiny one with the sump and refu ! You are one step further again. 

If I saw this one before I set up mine, I'm definitely clone this module haha.

Lol thanks MM.  I had wanted one like this a few years back but the custom builder I was designing it with got inundated with his day job and it never came to fruition. So when I saw these I jumped at the chance.

31 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

I think this build should be titled 'Going BIG with the small stuff' :wink:

Thats a great theme nano. It seems I did that unintentionally... I tend to get carried away with reefing 😬

• Like 1

Just wanted to share this with you guys since you might find it as fascinating as I did. I mentioned I used the sand from my last build which was sitting in my basement the past few years and had a bit of water which kept it from drying out thus keeping those bacterial colonies alive.During the process most of the water evaporated and in turn the salinity steadily increased. At some point the salt started to crystalize and create a number of these unique structures. I just thought they looked wicked cool and had to photograph a few with my macrolens.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, Rehype said:

Just wanted to share this with you guys since you might find it as fascinating as I did. I mentioned I used the sand from my last build which was sitting in my basement the past few years and had a bit of water which kept it from drying out thus keeping those bacterial colonies alive.During the process most of the water evaporated and in turn the salinity steadily increased. At some point the salt started to crystalize and create a number of these unique structures. I just thought they looked wicked cool and had to photograph a few with my macrolens.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow!! So cool

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, Rehype said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cool!  Here's the same phenomenon in nature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw0aY3SXIdg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That does look cool

10 hours ago, Gumbius said:

Wow!! So cool

9 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Cool!  Here's the same phenomenon in nature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw0aY3SXIdg

I know right! It was a huge surprise when I went to collect the sand there were tons of these salt cubes and other structures. I was totally confused at first. I wonder at what salinity can you trigger this reaction 🤔

Thanks for that video nano it makes sense since the red sea is probably the only place in the world this phenomena occurs naturally.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay!! Finally able to follow along with a Rehype tank as it's happening! 

The first build of yours I ever came across was your zero edge that I loved. Can't wait to get to watch this one happen real time. Such an inspiration to me.

• Like 3
Paleoreef103

Oh man! It's been a minute! Very excited for this build. You always have an amazing attention to detail.

• Like 2
teamschreiba

Looks like a great start and I hope you and the kids have been doing well!  I'm on the fence about diving back into the hobby after about a six year break too...

Going with a minimal aquascape/stocking or thinking something different?

• Like 1
On 5/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, mipster said:

Yay!! Finally able to follow along with a Rehype tank as it's happening! 

The first build of yours I ever came across was your zero edge that I loved. Can't wait to get to watch this one happen real time. Such an inspiration to me.

Thanks so much Mipster for following along and I appreciate the kind words. Hopefully this tank can meet expectations 😊

On 5/5/2020 at 6:06 PM, Paleoreef103 said:

Oh man! It's been a minute! Very excited for this build. You always have an amazing attention to detail.

I know man!How you been?

Thanks I appreciate you following along

On 5/7/2020 at 5:25 PM, teamschreiba said:

Looks like a great start and I hope you and the kids have been doing well!  I'm on the fence about diving back into the hobby after about a six year break too...

Going with a minimal aquascape/stocking or thinking something different?

Hey TS!!Its been a long time! We are doing well with all things considered and I hope you and your family are as well. You should come back.. if I did it you definitely should!  I was on the fence for about a year but ultimately figured why not as long as I kept it small and I included the kids.

Definitely will be minimal aquascaping and some hardy additions for stocking.

teamschreiba

I'm excited to see how it all shapes up!

We're doing well also.  I think this was the final push I needed in order to come back...  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, teamschreiba said:

I'm excited to see how it all shapes up!

We're doing well also.  I think this was the final push I needed in order to come back...  

Thanks TS it should be fun.

Thats awesome to hear and I really can't wait to see what you come up with.

So heres some shots of the scape. Added a cuc from John at reefcleaners as well as a cleaner shrimp. My kids have affectionately named him "Shrimpey" 😄 I kept the halimeda in there for a week or two to seed some pods to the display.  Ive since moved it to the refugium section of the sump.

spacer.png

"Shrimpey"

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
Nano sapiens
28 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Thanks TS it should be fun.

Thats awesome to hear and I really can't wait to see what you come up with.

So heres some shots of the scape. Added a cuc from John at reefcleaners as well as a cleaner shrimp. My kids have affectionately named him "Shrimpey" 😄 I kept the halimeda in there for a week or two to seed some pods to the display.  Ive since moved it to the refugium section of the sump.

spacer.png

"Shrimpey"

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking in my crystal ball, I predict that the rocks will magically move more towards the center to allow for cleaning all the walls :)

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks nice. I bet the kids are loving shrimpy

Thanks Debb. They are definitely getting a kick out of her antics

25 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Looking in my crystal ball, I predict that the rocks will magically move more towards the center to allow for cleaning all the walls 🙂

Lol it hasnt been an issue just yet. With that said do you happen to know of any nano sized magnetic cleaners that are safe on acrylic?

Nano sapiens
2 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Thanks Debb. They are definitely getting a kick out of her antics

Lol it hasnt been an issue just yet. With that said do you happen to know of any nano sized magnetic cleaners that are safe on acrylic?

I've been using a small Mag-float since day one.  Have managed to keep the glass mostly scratch free, but every once in a while I'll hear/feel that scratchy sound.  I also have the oddly shaped small Tunze magnetic cleaner that's a bit less prone to picking up sand grains, but it's less comfortable to use (really powerful magnets so it cleans very well, though).

3 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

I've been using a small Mag-float since day one.  Have managed to keep the glass mostly scratch free, but every once in a while I'll hear/feel that scratchy sound.  I also have the oddly shaped small Tunze magnetic cleaner that's a bit less prone to picking up sand grains, but it's less comfortable to use (really powerful magnets so it cleans very well, though).

Thanks nano I just ordered the small for acrylic

• Like 1
teamschreiba

Looks great! My scape is eerily similar but just reversed. I’m dying to be able to add even hermit crabs so I’m pretty jealous of your inverts. 

• Like 1