Cultivated Reef

AIO or Sump

grinder143

Probably been asked a zillion times. However I have never used an AIO and have only had larger tanks with sumps. These are different times for me now I work away from home but stay in one place for a year or so. I will move from time to time and I need it to easy not sure a small tank and a sump are still easy( had a 40 breeder with a sump once) too move , but I just have so much equipment laying around . Opinions small tank say less the 40 AIO or sump if you knew you would move now and then.

SaltyGallon

Tough question. Having only ever had AIOs a sump would be heavenly - hiding all that kit etc in the cabinet and being able to tinker around with stuff down there/grow chaeto (big plus!) would be a dream. But that said an AIO is obviously much easier to handle/move etc. I think if you go to the hassle of having a sump you might as well go for a bigger tank - the potential for more nutrient control is a big plus 🙂

I've had both. Just depends on what you want really. Along with the benefits outlined in previous responses, a sump gives you the ability to increase water volume which can help to stabilize water parameters and can be more forgiving when mistakes are made. But, can also be harder to fix because more water may be needed to correct. 

AIO tanks are easier to move. Tanks with sumps are easier to maintain and offer more flexibility. I've had both and will always choose a sump over an AIO unless there's a damned good reason not to (your moving may be that reason).

Benefits of a sump:

- more water volume

- more room for equipment (heater, controller probes, ATO, fuge, skimmer, etc)

- place to dump water when doing water changes

- allows better mixing for your ATO or dosing before hitting the DT

- more room for adding more complex 'reef tech' if you're into that

- no chambers encroaching on tank depth = easier to aquascape

I'm probably missing a few other things here, but those are the big ones for me. 

Benefits of AIO:

- more compact, better for limited room sizes

- easier to break down and move

- can be set up as counter top tanks, or similar

That's really the only benefits I can think of. 

In my opinion, tanks with sumps are better in almost every way. However, AIO tanks definitely have their place in the world and a quick search here will show that they can be every bit as nice as a tank with a sump. My AIO tanks were always successful (solana, bio cube and a DIY tank), and the new, smaller ATOs and LED lighting makes them much more practical than they were several years ago. I'd definitely go AIO if I had to move it each year.

• 1 month later...

Having had both sump and AIO and moved both half a dozen times, including twice cross county, if you are moving with any regularity, it isn't even a real question - get an AIO. Preferably a small one.

Anything under 8-10 gallons is going to be under 100lbs full and you can literally just unplug it, drain off about 40% of the water, toss the whole thing in a Rubbermaid and just go. No need to even break it down or take out livestock.