ReefCleaners.org

Juwel Rio 125 lighting options?

Zachary Hart

Zachary Hart

Hello, I recently purchased a Juwel Rio 125 which came with 2 t5 highlite day bulbs. I don't think that these are powerful enough to grow corals and so need to get some new, more powerful lights. I was thinking either to get the highlite marine and blue t5 bulbs or to get LED lights. However, if I were to get LEDs I'm not sure how many I would need or what type. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2 hours ago, Zachary Hart said:

Hello, I recently purchased a Juwel Rio 125 which came with 2 t5 highlite day bulbs. I don't think that these are powerful enough to grow corals and so need to get some new, more powerful lights. I was thinking either to get the highlite marine and blue t5 bulbs or to get LED lights. However, if I were to get LEDs I'm not sure how many I would need or what type. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

For LEDs, it depends on dimensions of the tank and the corals you want.

On 33g at least 2 pendant fixtures. 

If you are looking for budget lights, the black boxes on amazon like mars aqua are favoured

T5 wise, I ran a 4 bulb system on my old 55g, so on a 33g, 2-4 bulb t5 system.

In the long run, LEDS are cheaper as they use less energy, require no bulb replacements, more controllability.

Zachary Hart

Thanks. I already have one ai prime, so do u think another one would suffice. This tank is an upgrade from a fluval 13.5. I currently have an anemone in my previous tank and so used the ai prime for lighting. Do u think if I had two ai primes over the juwel Rio 125 would be enough to keep the corals happy?