SaltCritters.com

Lighting for Aquamaxx 22G

Ac4570

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out which lights I want to buy for my tank to support any kinds of corals I decide to keep. I’ve looked into AI prime hd and cheaper options, such as the mars aqua, but am not sure what kind of coverage I will need for my tank size. The tank is 36”x12”x12” so any recommendations on the amount of AI lights or any other cheaper options would be appreciated. Thanks

MainelyReefer

Lots of 3ft tanks going up lately(including my 12g long).  There was already two similar threads asking how to light 33g longs if you could find them some answers might be there.  General consensus was that multiple puck style leds would be needed to properly illuminate the tank and it’s hard to maximize their spread without a fair amount of light spill on these narrow tanks.  I went t5 and led strip light as it’s cheap Has perfect spread and packs a punch.  I like the AI primes if you wanted to spend the money great light.  Two might do but three would be better so you could ramp them down and keep them closer to the tank to limit light spill.  $600 is a lot.  WVReefer has two orbit marines on her 12g long and dirty check that thread out too.

• Thanks 1

For the length of the tank, 2 ai Primes would be needed. 1 will only cover 24inches, anything outside of that would need to be low light corals or nps. 

You might get better coverage with 1 longer black box.

There is the current orbit as well.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the replies. Granite, I have looked into other posts with the 3 foot tanks, but a lot involved 40G tanks and others with wider tanks than my 12”, so I just wanted to double check in order to find a good option to combat light spill. Thanks for the light and thread suggestions you offered as well! I’ll check them both out. 

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

For the length of the tank, 2 ai Primes would be needed. 1 will only cover 24inches, anything outside of that would need to be low light corals or nps. 

You might get better coverage with 1 longer black box.

There is the current orbit as well.

Thanks for the reply! I am internally fighting between the ai primes and black box, when you say the longer black box would you recommend one of the 300w one’s? (the dimensions of one I saw was 32x7. 

4 hours ago, Ac4570 said:

Thank you both for the replies. Granite, I have looked into other posts with the 3 foot tanks, but a lot involved 40G tanks and others with wider tanks than my 12”, so I just wanted to double check in order to find a good option to combat light spill. Thanks for the light and thread suggestions you offered as well! I’ll check them both out. 

Thanks for the reply! I am internally fighting between the ai primes and black box, when you say the longer black box would you recommend one of the 300w one’s? (the dimensions of one I saw was 32x7. 

The black boxes generally have more diodes and longer body, so the spread of light goes farther, especially if they aren't hung low.

I would think about how much controllability you want and ease of use. 

The Ai's are awesome lights, controlled on your phone or PC, fully controllable. 

• Thanks 1