ReefCleaners.org

rust in the tank ok ?

naothan

30 minutes ago, naothan said:

just added magnets to hold rock work up. seeing a little rust is that ok ? IMG_7107.thumb.jpg.528817838eca1495b817009bf49b38b9.jpgIMG_7106.thumb.jpg.74b21a54db48f16fdc967167641ae7cd.jpg

No. Magnets need to be properly coated or they need to be quality ceramic. 

Iron rust itself isn't a problem... but the metal contains many others that is a problem.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, naothan said:

Definitely no. It is coated with nickle and copper. Take it out ASAP. Metals have no place in a reef environment and once built up enough as the magnet degrades, will kill inverts. 

I use these magnets and they have been in my tank for years. They are covered in a very thick epoxy (some cheap types have thin layers which is also a no-no as they scratch too easily).

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/oceans-wonders-n52-v2-mag-rack-replacement-magnets.html

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Definitely no. It is coated with nickle and copper. Take it out ASAP. Metals have no place in a reef environment and once built up enough as the magnet degrades, will kill inverts. 

I use these magnets and they have been in my tank for years. They are covered in a very thick epoxy (some cheap types have thin layers which is also a no-no as they scratch too easily).

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/oceans-wonders-n52-v2-mag-rack-replacement-magnets.html

i took them out after reading the first post were only in 24 hours 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Everything at @Tamberav said.

I would add some new carbon to remove any toxins that may have leached 

i actually did just put some new carbon in  its a shame i liked the look of the new scape

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, naothan said:

i actually did just put some new carbon in  its a shame i liked the look of the new scape

Replace the magnets with the safe kind when you can to keep the scape you like

3 hours ago, naothan said:

i doubt they will hold

the magnets i are crazy strong and just barley did the trick 

Nano rox makes rocks and uses the safe magnets for them. So there are ones that are safe to use

• Thanks 1