Jump to content
naothan

rust in the tank ok ?

Recommended Posts

naothan

just added magnets to hold rock work up. seeing a little rust is that ok ? IMG_7107.thumb.jpg.528817838eca1495b817009bf49b38b9.jpgIMG_7106.thumb.jpg.74b21a54db48f16fdc967167641ae7cd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
30 minutes ago, naothan said:

just added magnets to hold rock work up. seeing a little rust is that ok ? IMG_7107.thumb.jpg.528817838eca1495b817009bf49b38b9.jpgIMG_7106.thumb.jpg.74b21a54db48f16fdc967167641ae7cd.jpg

No. Magnets need to be properly coated or they need to be quality ceramic. 

 

Iron rust itself isn't a problem... but the metal contains many others that is a problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
4 hours ago, naothan said:

Definitely no. It is coated with nickle and copper. Take it out ASAP. Metals have no place in a reef environment and once built up enough as the magnet degrades, will kill inverts. 

 

I use these magnets and they have been in my tank for years. They are covered in a very thick epoxy (some cheap types have thin layers which is also a no-no as they scratch too easily).

 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/oceans-wonders-n52-v2-mag-rack-replacement-magnets.html

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
naothan
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Definitely no. It is coated with nickle and copper. Take it out ASAP. Metals have no place in a reef environment and once built up enough as the magnet degrades, will kill inverts. 

 

I use these magnets and they have been in my tank for years. They are covered in a very thick epoxy (some cheap types have thin layers which is also a no-no as they scratch too easily).

 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/oceans-wonders-n52-v2-mag-rack-replacement-magnets.html

 

 

i took them out after reading the first post were only in 24 hours 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Everything at @Tamberav said.

 

I would add some new carbon to remove any toxins that may have leached 

Share this post


Link to post
naothan
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Everything at @Tamberav said.

 

I would add some new carbon to remove any toxins that may have leached 

i actually did just put some new carbon in  its a shame i liked the look of the new scape

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
9 minutes ago, naothan said:

i actually did just put some new carbon in  its a shame i liked the look of the new scape

 

Replace the magnets with the safe kind when you can to keep the scape you like

Share this post


Link to post
naothan

i doubt they will hold

the magnets i are crazy strong and just barley did the trick 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
3 hours ago, naothan said:

i doubt they will hold

the magnets i are crazy strong and just barley did the trick 

 

Nano rox makes rocks and uses the safe magnets for them. So there are ones that are safe to use

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...