Cultivated Reef

UNS 45A

bvck

Just getting back into the hobby after about a 5 year break. Always been super stoked on small reef tanks and had a budget 3g picotope back in the day. This time around I wanted to do things slightly different. Main goal is a clean, minimalistic tank, dominantly stocked with softies. 

Equipment

UNS 45A - 9 gallon

AI Prime 16HD reef

Sicce 0.5 Return Pump

XP Aqua Duetto ATO

Eheim Jager 50W 

MP10

Livestock

Black & white ocellaris clown

Azure Damsel

Scarlet Hermit

Sexy Shrimp

Clove Polyps

Green Star Polyps

Ultra Green Hammer

Rock Flower Nem

Zoa and Palys:

Nirvana 

Utter Chaos 

Rasta

White Zombie

Speckled Krak

Pink Diamond

Rainbow Rhino

Chiquita

Atomic Blast

Salted Agave 

• Like 2

Will be following along.   I just purchased a UNS 30A.   Doesn't seem there are many out there.

In the process of aquascaping right now....will probably get it wet this weekend.

• Like 1

Love the UNS tank. Couple drawbacks are the stock return pump it came with is super weak, and the back wall to the filtration is slightly see through. Back wall really isn’t the biggest deal just have to be aware of how my filtration media/heater/whatever looks back there. As of now the water level in the back is the same as in the display. Those are my only complaints, other than that I love the tank. Very well built! Just purchased a sicce .5 return pump (185gph) to hopefully fix the water level in the back and a random flow generator from VCA to help with flow in display. Should be here early next week. 

@This guy is extra salty Thank you! I am happy with the decision. It took me a couple weeks of contemplating what set up to go with. But I am planning on doing zoas, carpet nems, mushrooms. Then maybe a torch or anemone! Idk been loving the higher end collector zoas/palys a lot so that's my main goal.

• Like 1

Question. The drilled hole for return plumbing on my tank is smaller than I had expected. I ordered Loc-Line - NPT CONNECTOR FOR 1/2” MODULAR HOSE & Bulk Reef Supply - 1/2” SCHEDULE 80 90° ELBOW BARB X FEMALE THREAD. These do not work for my tank since the hole for the return plumbing is 1/2 inch in diameter. I am confused as to what size I need to order if the 1/2 inch is too big...

I also ordered a - Vivid Creative Aquatics - 1/2" LOC-LINE RANDOM FLOW GENERATOR. I understand that the connectors need to be 1/2 inch but the threaded part is my confusion. 

4 hours ago, bvck said:

Ended up returning everything but the return pump. 

Thats a bummer.  I was hoping that random flow generator would work.  It looked like a slick solution.   Please post if you go with something different as my return hole and plumbing is likely the same as yours.

1 hour ago, dnadrifter said:

Thats a bummer.  I was hoping that random flow generator would work.  It looked like a slick solution.   Please post if you go with something different as my return hole and plumbing is likely the same as yours.

I was really hoping it would work. I could not come up with a solution by only looking online. The sicce 0.5 return pump is sufficient though, I like it.

My Cobalt 606 return pump came today.  I have one on my fresh water tank at work (or what used to be a "fresh"water tank 3 weeks ago), and it has done well.   Another forum member said he had good luck with it also, so I am going to try that.

What are you currently doing for media?  Did you keep that sponge and the ceramic bio-donuts?

14 hours ago, dnadrifter said:

My Cobalt 606 return pump came today.  I have one on my fresh water tank at work (or what used to be a "fresh"water tank 3 weeks ago), and it has done well.   Another forum member said he had good luck with it also, so I am going to try that.

What are you currently doing for media?  Did you keep that sponge and the ceramic bio-donuts?

That’s actually at the top of my list today to figure out. Multiple points of research today, nano skimmer, nano media reactor, or just some classic chemi pure elite and maybe the eshopps bio lux combo. Any input, experience from anyone is appreciated.

8 minutes ago, bvck said:

That’s actually at the top of my list today to figure out. Multiple points of research today, nano skimmer, nano media reactor, or just some classic chemi pure elite and maybe the eshopps bio lux combo. Any input, experience from anyone is appreciated.

I just ordered a Reefglass skimmer for the Nano im

about to set up

• Like 1

Trying to figure out scape, this allows for more rock coverage with corals. It sits on the back of the glass slightly tho which I am not super stoked on. This is how I have it set up right now but please refer to top pictures for the two options. 

9983C5FF-43E5-48AE-BDB5-FEA2EF2D9806.jpeg

7659D310-B1F4-4143-9DA3-AC93E3BCD4CA.jpeg

A72FB9A6-C742-4D0C-9A92-90CB425EB9E7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heyyy.  Just curious how you are liking the Sicce 0.5 on this? Does it fit easily in the return chamber?

I'm using the Aqamai KPS for my UNS 45A.  Way cheaper than the MP10, smaller, and does the job.  App is terrible though, but once you get it to work, won't need to fiddle with it again.

• Like 1

@Tigahboy I like the Sicce 0.5 it fit perfectly in the back. Could maybe even squeeze the 1.0 in there, but the 0.5 has proven to be plenty of return. Thanks for your input on the Aqamai but I already bought the mp10. Should be here by Monday I am stoked.

• Thanks 1

I just ordered mu UNS 45a and I am super excited for it; I'm planning to use KP Aqautic rock, Pixie 30 LEDS and an Aqamai KPS like Tigahboy uses

• Like 2