Innovative Marine Aquariums

Silicone poisoning

markertk

I attached my new sump to my tank last night and today after work I came home to my tank looking awful. After doing some research I found I used the wrong kind of silicone (ge2 instead of ge1). I guess the mold killer has a chemical in it that is poisonous. I emptied my tank and have my live rock in some fresh salt water, and my livestock that survived in a different tank. I am currently rinsing my sand bed with fresh water trying to flush out the toxins.

My question is can I use my rock and sand after I rinse it? Or will I have to dry everything out, and recycle my tank? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, markertk said:

I attached my new sump to my tank last night and today after work I came home to my tank looking awful. After doing some research I found I used the wrong kind of silicone (ge2 instead of ge1). I guess the mold killer has a chemical in it that is poisonous. I emptied my tank and have my live rock in some fresh salt water, and my livestock that survived in a different tank. I am currently rinsing my sand bed with fresh water trying to flush out the toxins.

My question is can I use my rock and sand after I rinse it? Or will I have to dry everything out, and recycle my tank? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for the help!

Ya mold killer is definitely toxic for reefs.

Sorry to hear about the losses.

If the rocks and sand absorbed the toxins, not sure if it would be safe to use.

Running carbon may help.

Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Candymancan

Cant answer the question without feeling liable on if the rock and sand is safe.

But tbh i woulds just used activated carbon in the tank vs rinsing everything.   Carbon removes chemicals. Toxins. Ect from the water columm..  You should be fine.

As for the silicone.  I mean im not one to say you shoulda coulda woulda.. i hate wheb people ssy that.. but IMO its better to just buy silicone labled for aquariums.   GE1 is pretty bottom of barrel and i wouldnt use it for building tanks like some people do but thats just me.  Ive used it for sealing up homemade coanisters snd fittings but i wouldnt use for resealing a tank itself.. but thats me lol

Aqueon has caulk tubes of silicone fir 10$ each.  I know thats more then GE1 but to me its for the peace of mind.  For my 135 it took 3 tubes.. for something lioe you did 1 should be plenty

Thank you for your help. I’ll keep you Guys posted on how it goes. So far I’ve reintroduced the snails that survived and they seem to be doing fine after doing a 100% water change and running some carbon and a poly-filter.

• Like 1