Pod Your Reef

Protein Skimmers

tizme

Hi all!

First, for any who might be thinking..."should've run a search", I tried several times and got nothing but error messages.

I'm a newbie to nanos. I've successfully kept freshwater and want to make the leap to salt. I've got a 26 gal bow-front tank that is taller than it is wide. Not the ideal for most cool fish who require wide tanks for swimming. Anyway, I've done quite a bit of reading and I've decided I best get the skimmer. Anyone have read reviews by pros or just had better or worse results with a few brands. Obviously, I want the most bang for my buck. B)

Any and all help is so appreciated.

Thanks!

Go read the message board at the CPR site, lotta complaining there eh? Go with AquaC Remora, doesn't cost that much more than CPR, and you won't have to fuss with that venturi sheeeeit.

prizm's not bad ime. i've used the cpr and didn't like it as much. don't get me wrong it worked but the prizm was simpler and much cheaper.

a lot of people do recommend the remora though (no exp. with it).

Spend the $$$$$ Get a TurboFlotor 1000. it will fit in a 10 gal sump OR there is a HOB model, but its 50.00 more. Sump is better IMO. ALSO, there is a new one comming out from ViaAqua soon look fer it.

I hat SEARCH fer Protien Skimmer got 12 threads.:

I have a prizm I like a lot but I hear good things about the AquaC Remora too. Although it does cost a bit more than the Prizm I think. One thing I worry about is getting something too efficient and that it might over skim a smaller tank and take out more good than a skimmer that is made for smaller sized tanks. I don't know anything about the AquaC so it might fall into this category. I figure if people say skimmers can remove good stuff, and you pick up a skimmer that works well for tanks 100 gallons plus, it is going to polish your nano and then keep removing the good stuff in a hurry.

Archived