Innovative Marine Aquariums

Did my pistol shrimp kill my goby?

Emaychzee

Hi all. I picked up a red banded pistol shrimp and a pink bar goby a couple days ago. I added them to my (freshly cycled, inhabitant less) dt. After acclimation, the shrimp immediately began to burrow happily under some rock. When I added the goby, he immediately dived into the pistol's hole. I haven't seen the goby but I do see glimpses of the shrimp, who continues to dig happily but has not emerged fully. What's the possibility that the pistol killed that goby?

I've been placing a hikari pellet outside each of the two entrances during feeding to try and entice them out. I figure if they've paired, I'll see both come to the entrance - if not then I guess I'll know I need to go digging for the body of this goby before it rots. Any other tips to try and lure them out? While I figure out a way to get some frozen mysis during lock down, can i try and lure them out with a tiny bit of grocery store shrimp? When should I give up and move the rocks? Tank is totally covered and rocks are resting directly on the glass so I think we can rule out carpet surfing and death by crushing. 

And yes, I super regret not quarantining the goby (he looked kinda sluggish to start - got him for 15$ from a petco that was trying to get rid of all their livestock before they have to shut down), but my qt is occupied at the moment and since my dt has nothing but sand and rock, I figured it'd be fine. I did a slow slow drip acclimation then a 2 min freshwater dip which the goby handled like a champ. Shrimp did not get dipped. 

How long has it been since they were introduced to the tank? Shrimp gobies are notoriously skittish; it wouldn’t surprise me if you didn’t see him for a week +

If it dies, after 24hrs you may not find a body if you have bristleworms and such in the tank.

Did you use liverock or dry rock in the tank?

Gobies are skittish at first, have you tried checking at night to see if he coming out then?

Don't go digging for the body. Not worthy disterbing the tank or the stress if the goby is alive.

I have seen shrimp gobies hide for weeks.

A candy cane pistol is not likey the problem here.

• Like 2