SaltCritters.com

Brackish Puffers and Clownfish?!?!

Sandy Andy

I've heard that brackish puffers can be adjusted to saltwater with drip acclimation. I mean the small ones that only grow three inches. Could I adjust them to live with my clownfish in saltwater?

Are these the puffers you’re referring to? 

92FA6303-16C0-4E0F-A3BD-CCA955C3AE28.jpeg
Dichotomyctere ocellatus

They can be acclimated to full strength seawater, yes. As adults they often live in marine environments. 

Do note that the will eat your entire cleanup crew. Snails, shrimp, crabs, all of it. So that means YOU will be the clean up crew. 

10 gallons is far too small for a puffer. 

Also you’re just about full with a pair of clowns. Any additional fish would ha e to be small and docile like a goby. 

6 minutes ago, Sandy Andy said:

I've heard from an expert that three can live in 10 gallons.

Three small fish, yes. Clownfish are aggressive, so your third fish needs to be peaceful and small to avoid territorial disputes. 

I would say clown goby. Dartfish are very timid and a little larger than you want. 

Do you have space for a larger tank? 20 gallons would be better, spacewise and parameter wise. You're going to be very fully stocked with 3 fish in a 10gal, once those clowns reach full size.