inTank Media Baskets

Is AquaSafe Safe For Marine Aquariums?

Sandy Andy

I've used AquaSafe on my freshwater tanks, but does it work on marine tanks? I looked on the Tetra website and it says it does, but I wanted to be sure. 

devilsadvocate

are you trying to use tap water for your tank? tapwater really should never be used in any aquarium, if using rodi or distilled you do not need to use that product. 

IME, tap water is fine for fish and some inverts. For one thing, you don't want to use RODI in freshwater without any sort of remineralizer, it's likely to kill your fish. I used to have a FOWLER that I used tap water for, and my fish and pistol shrimp were healthy. Maybe not the best option, but it works if you have decent tap water quality and aren't keeping super delicate fish.

It is, however, not suitable for corals. It's too unpredictable. You want to know exactly what the water in your reef tank is like, and not only is tap water an unknown, it's an unknown that changes. 

If the company that makes it says it's reef safe, it should be reef safe.