Pod Your Reef

Is my hammer dying?!

Fish kid

Hey everyone I’ve had this new hammer for a week and it has not opened and it looks like it’s dying. I’ve done a water change and tested water but it hasn’t done anything. I have a Xenia and some zoas that are doing great but my hammer and toadstool aren’t. I added them at the same time and both aren’t doing good. I don’t know what to do.

temp 78

salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

PH 8.2

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0 

alkalinity 10.3

image.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It definitely looks like it’s melting. It’s kinda hard to tell, bc of the blue glare. Toadstools are pretty resilient tho, it should be fine. 

I had that light on a 10g, it's an ok light, if anything my marbled hammer bleached under it, my frogspawn and green hammers did fine.

You have 0 nitrates, that's an issue. Corals need nitrates and phosphates.

How much flow is on the corals?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
28 minutes ago, Fish kid said:

I have a good flow on it, probably about a medium flow. And how could I higher my nitrates.

I’ve actually found that hammers like lower flow. At least my hammer.

For some reason I cannot keep hammers or Torch corals...such a shame lol. So I turned my tank into a soft coral only tank and it's doing ok. Wayyy less work too hahaha

But what about my toadstool, I have one kinda the same spot the hammer was (which  the hammer unfortunately died this morning) is that to much flow? It has a medium flow like the hammer did 

1 hour ago, Fish kid said:

But what about my toadstool, I have one kinda the same spot the hammer was (which  the hammer unfortunately died this morning) is that to much flow? It has a medium flow like the hammer did 

Leathers often close up, especially after being touched or move.

They naturally close up frequently to shed and grow.

It has been like this for a week after I got it, in the store it seemed fine but now it won’t open. Is it just shedding/ growing or is it just not happy.

7 minutes ago, Fish kid said:

It has been like this for a week after I got it, in the store it seemed fine but now it won’t open. Is it just shedding/ growing or is it just not happy.

Leathers can stay closed for weeks.

It may not be happy with location.