Coral Vue Hydros

silicates

maniafairie

I posted previously about diatoms and it was suggested I change my water source. So I got some RI/DO water from my LFS and tested it and the silicate level in it was the same as the level in the distilled water I'd bought at Target! The phosphates were lower though. Why would this be? It's at about 1.0 (silicates) and phosphates 0.

your distilled water had silicate and phosphate in it? I didnt think that was possible. I thought distilled water is the collected steam from the boiling process?

I know! Oh, I did use some bottled spring water in the beginning in the tank. Could that be where it's coming from? But the DI/RO water shouldn't have silicates in it, should it?

could your test kit be faulty.....RO/DI water should not have silicates and neither should distilled water.Maybe you could ask your LFS to test his own water just to see....

Trace amounts of silicates should not hurt anything. Are you seeing algae outbreaks or are you having any other probs in the tank? Some people over at RC actually dose silicates in their systems. Sponges are one organism that utilizes silicates in the water.

Archived