Cultivated Reef

Aiptasia Eating Filefish. Does anyone know anything about this fish?

Zionas

I came across it online today, and it looks pretty interesting as pest control. I’d like to know more about these fish.

Are they very hardy? Are they reef  safe? What do they eat? How long do they live for? Are they jumpers? Do they really eat Aiptasia?

These are some of the things I’d love to know. Thanks.

Snow_Phoenix

Yes, they're hardy. Will eat coral if they get the munchies. Mine ate a RM 350 RFA, for example. Mine never jumped. And yes, they will eat aiptasia. (Eventually)

Very personable fish though. Different people might have different experiences with them - some folks have model citizens that never went after their corals, others, no. 

2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yes, they're hardy. Will eat coral if they get the munchies. Mine ate a RM 350 RFA, for example. Mine never jumped. And yes, they will eat aiptasia. (Eventually)

Very personable fish though. Different people might have different experiences with them - some folks have model citizens that never went after their corals, others, no. 

Well said. Definitely a hardy fish, they are like angels in that there is a strong tendency to nip at corals (although some may not). Any fish could potentially jump - cover your tank if you don't have one already 🙂 and they are very likely to eat aiptasia, (but not all do). If you don't have a ton of lps they are worth a shot because they're cool fish in general. They aren't the prettiest, but they are unique and have the ability to somewhat change color too!

• Like 1

🙂 That’s some encouraging news. How long do they usually live for? Are they known for their longevity? (At least 8-10 or more years is my standard)

Tom@HaslettMI

I tried one. It preferred my acans and did not touch the Aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimp did a great job taking care of the Aiptasia in my tank. 

Tom

Gorgeous fish, I absolutely loved mine and was gutted when I had to give him up. Full of personality. 

He did eat Aiptasia, although I never saw him do it. Also really enjoyed any LPS that I placed in the tank. seemed to really enjoy a sand and crushed coral bottom to the tank as well

I used one for an Aiptasia outbreak in a 16 gallon. It got along great with an azure damsel and 6 line wrasse as so peaceful and no one ever bothered it. 

it did eat all the Aiptasia!!  Initially online I thought it was a bland, somewhat ugly fish from the picture.  But after getting it found it to be so u I que and cool and was my favorite of the fish.

may have nipped at a coral here and there so keep that in mind as others have mentioned hit otherwise awesome fish!

• Like 1